Casting bronze with glass

Post here with questions and topics relating to making glass jewelry.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

imraslan

Casting bronze with glass

Post by imraslan »

I am wondering if it is possible to cast bronze with glass for a bracelet jewelry project that I am working at. Will they stick together if I want to make the middle part from bronze and the sides in glass? Please let me know if anyone has any experience with that
Studiodunn

Re: Casting bronze with glass

Post by Studiodunn »

Here is a link to another glass artist who I have noticed uses bronze clay in her lovely work. http://sillydogartglass.typepad.com/sil ... s/pendant/

I wondered if she uses some kind of epoxy but haven't had time to investigate it further. I have some bronze clay waiting for just the right project...I'll be interested to know what you find out!
“I would rather die than hate you.”
- Martin Luther King
Geo

Post by Geo »

I tried combining fired bronze metal clay with kiln casted glass once. Basically I extruded the bronze clay to form a leaf stem and veins, fired the bronze, then included the stem/veins in Bullseye frit to make a leaf. There was significant cracking of the glass around the thicker bronze areas (stem), but very fine veins did well.
Chelseaglass

Post by Chelseaglass »

I am interested in this as well--not using metal clay but casting metal around a glass cab or glass piece. Is this possible?

Due to melting points, I think yes and plan to take some glass cabs to a fun casting class I am taking in a few weeks. However, google search did not turn up a satisfactory answer and I would like to have more information before presenting my glass to the instructor and stating I wish to cast a setting around it only to be turned down on the spot.
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&h ... 24&bih=662 kieth cummings has done some cool casting with both . love his art. rosanna
artist, owner of wanchese art studio, marine finisher
Mike Griffin

Post by Mike Griffin »

As far as I know, platinum, which has a COE of 90 is the only metal compatible with glass. Other metals have COE's about twice that and are therefore incompatible when in intimate contact unless they are thin sections of metal that can expand and contract with the glass. Glass/metal objects with significant cross sections will have been assembled to allow for differing expansion and contraction.