High temperature wire between glass

Post here with questions and topics relating to making glass jewelry.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

digitaldi

High temperature wire between glass

Post by digitaldi »

I have been trying to place a small wire ring between two layers of glass, prior to firing. The ring is made out of high temperature wire and will attach directly to the earring finding instead of using a glued on bail. The problem I have is that the high temperature wire becomes tarnished and brittle after a full fuse firing. Sometimes the wire droops down into the glass during the firing.

Has anyone used wire between glass in their earring projects? Any tips?
Drewcilla

Re: High temperature wire between glass

Post by Drewcilla »

I've used fine silver to do that. I prop 1/8 inch thick fiber blanket under the bottom of wire to keep it from bending down. The silver shines up nicely after firing.
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

Drewcilla, do you have a dedicated shelf for silver? I recently did my first experiment with fine silver inclusions--completely encased between layers of glass and not too close to the edges--and had silver staining. Took several firings for it to dissipate.
Drewcilla

Post by Drewcilla »

Valerie Adams wrote:Drewcilla, do you have a dedicated shelf for silver? I recently did my first experiment with fine silver inclusions--completely encased between layers of glass and not too close to the edges--and had silver staining. Took several firings for it to dissipate.
Valerie, I've read about problems with silver but I've never had any. (I probably shouldn't have said that.) I also do lots of fine silver inclusions in pendants so I guess I've just been lucky.