Physical art objects or digital art? Their impact on us

This forum focuses on the artistic "why" and "what" more than the technical "how". Put more philosophical (but still art and glass related) posts here.

Moderator: Tony Smith

Marty

Re: Physical art objects or digital art? Their impact on us

Post by Marty »

Does Berlitz have Artspeak tapes?
Nina Falk

Post by Nina Falk »

yes, but those tapes are in wolof.
Marty

Post by Marty »

snort
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

Ethnologists note that there are over one-hundred different words in Wolof that mean variations of 'Self-referential pictorial intelligence', yet the concept of 'Wow.....cool' cannot be expressed verbally.
The closest approximation is a Wolof dance that utilizes toothpicks and cheese cubes.

I'm going to find the term 'Wolof' useful.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Don Burt wrote:Ethnologists note that there are over one-hundred different words in Wolof that mean variations of 'Self-referential pictorial intelligence', yet the concept of 'Wow.....cool' cannot be expressed verbally.
The closest approximation is a Wolof dance that utilizes toothpicks and cheese cubes.

I'm going to find the term 'Wolof' useful.
Don
I don't believe the empirical data substantiates this claim. Although the term "cool" is quite confusing, the concept of WoW is universal and has been around since neanderthal days. This was in the pre-facebook era when cave drawings were the preferred mode to communicate WoW. Gotta love cheese cubes though. The stinkier the cheese, the greater the WoW...
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Eric Baker

Post by Eric Baker »

I read some, and skimmed some-- not too much, really-- of Don's link. Something must be wrong with my brain. I understood some parts of it, and that was troubling, but other parts hurt to read, which was somewhat comforting. Is there a doctorate degree somewhere where a person can actually learn to talk like that? I took the wrong classes in my university, apparently.

I remember a link from a while back on this forum where if you typed in a few bits of random words and data into a program, out spat a paragraph like the one Don copied into this thread. That's if you needed a artist statement, or a review, etc. in a hurry. An artistic algorithm to make up poly-syllabic words that cause confusion, instead of communication. Oy vey, indeed!

Before my simple brain was over-(under)-whelmed and bored, I did find the supposed cancer-smelling bees intriguing, as was 'Paradoxymoron' by Patrick Hughes. I'd like to see that one in person. But breathing my halitosis onto some live bees, when bees are dying all over the planet in droves seems, well, indulgent and stupid. I guess my limited education and intelligence should stick to glass admiration, and not to interpretation. I'll leave that to the intelligentsia who have the dictionary memorized. (Sorry, no offense intended to those with higher IQ's than mine, unless you're a pretentious blow-hard who writes articles such as that one...)

I'd rather spend a whole year constructing just one piece of glass that brought a smile to the face of a child (or adult, for that matter), than spend one hour with my spell-checker concocting that sort of drivel, even if I earned tons of moolah for it.

But thanks, Don, for posting. I don't know how you stumbled upon that link, but it was certainly 'enlightening'. I hope that if you read all of that, you had a glass of wine handy.

Now I'm off to find out more about that Hughes' sculpture. That looked like it was worth more investigation...