Everyone needs a boost once in awhile.

This forum focuses on the artistic "why" and "what" more than the technical "how". Put more philosophical (but still art and glass related) posts here.

Moderator: Tony Smith

Haydo

Everyone needs a boost once in awhile.

Post by Haydo »

Still on the treadmill of security in the modern world. However my current new role as a temporary worker(read as be screwed whenever) is at a major dealership of a major brand of earth moving equipment. I have learnt to work with a handicap. So many rules, so much paperwork, so much BS, however they can't catch the old fox. Have caught people out doing the dodgy so often that I've questioned whether or not I'm being set up to cover their own failings. Then they reply with "don't yell", hahahaha. Feel like laying down on the floor laughing when they bang on about targets.
THE POSITIVES from this is that I can see how a professional attitude can direct a business, I can see this job making me extra hungry for what I need to be doing. It has given me the opportunity to try yet another idea due to early knockoffs each day.
The PHILOSOPHY is " if you never ever go you'll never ever know " and I'd rather die trying than to be big f'n sook. Plus what would my ancestors and descendants think.

there is no peace, Haydo
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!
Tod

Re: Everyone needs a boost once in awhile.

Post by Tod »

Wow, Haydo, what a post! Good luck - don't loose the magic! - Tod
please visit Beall Glass Studio on Face Book
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

Sounds like a rant to me!! Not relative to this board. :?
"The Glassman"
Joyce Walters

Post by Joyce Walters »

Here is the small amount of truth that I know about life.
Every single one of us has to move forward by putting one foot in front of the other.
one day at a time.
rich, poor, handicapped, healthy.
There are many 12 step programs to help those who didn't learn it young.
And yes, working at less than satisfactory jobs while pursuing our own art.
So now the big job is to learn to move forward joyfully
with great love towards as many people and as much of the planet as possible.
Take pleasure and peace from all the small, good moments each day.
And quit chewing on that bone of contention. Drop it.
A quote not my own, "live simply. love generously. care deeply. speak kindly. leave the rest to God."
Joyce
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

Flaming humidity made me do it, haha. Felled a tree the other day and almost as quick as you could blink a cyclone started to form off our north coast. Out of respect for other houses it has been all focus to clear the mess and any other loose items. I could apologize to Don. On Nauru our crews favourite saying was "it is what it is."
Kiln forming is like photography. A fair bit of journey to capture that moment in time. So my journey now has me looking into producing custom concrete slabs with inlayed glass design elements and glass light pendants to accompany. This new direction makes sense to me as it ticks most boxes. Design, mould making, batch control but most importantly room for creativity.
Joyce I always appreciate words of wisdom. I believe in the truer form of Yoga and have met people who live like that, they are like beacons radiating. I am breathing again and aware of how grateful I am for what I have. My wife is onto me when she says that I don't like change. First month back at work after a four and a half month break capped by going cold turkey on the smokes. It's all happening, next chapter.
haydo
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Hope the bomb shelter is ready...hear that's possibly going to be a Cat 5 cyclone heading your way, not just a breeze murmuring in the not-cut-down trees.

Big congrats on kicking the smokes. That will make a few days in the bomb shelter nicer for your fellow moles.

All the best for riding it out safely with minimal damage. Jen
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

Cheers Jen, I don't mind seeing nature at its best smash itself against the coastline. I do feel for the unfortunate who feel the wrath through total destruction though. Big tidy today and batten down day tomorrow. During all of this my new venture into concrete hasn't weaned. I feel it won't take much of a few different things done well to keep me busy. I have faith in my boys wisdom of just get in there and make stuff for now and to forget about a commercial line. Taking a plate down to Brisbane at Easter, so who knows what will come of that. So many apartments, so many celebrating milestones, so many christenings and so many opportunities to enrich someones life especially if it is a customised piece.
To be honest I'll be more likely to be found on the roof taunting God, Cyclone Debbie, who's Cyclone Debbie. Awesome view up there and away from all the debris being whipped around. hahaha. BRING ON WINTER, so i can work like a lunatic.

haydo
Joyce Walters

Post by Joyce Walters »

Quitting smoking is what made you crazy.
It is a temporary state of mind and you will be so fine later.
sounds simple, but you must drink plenty of fluids! truly.
speak kindly.
Joyce
jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

Speaking from one that has been down that road, After 26 years of cold turkey, I still
once in awhile want to hit a smoker over the head and steal his cigarettes.
It DOES get a little better day by day.
Concentrate on how better your clothes smell and how much better food tastes.
The other Jim
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

My problem is that I am crazy, well the potential anyway to runamok again. It shouldn't be a race, but often feel as though I'm in one. The thinking always positive toward a new direction that would help realise more time in the studio. It's nice to produce some things that have deep meaning to me but more about design now which I'm comfortable with as I class myself as a maker. You don't get to see many old diesel fitters doing what I'm doing on the tools and my drive comes from the desire to remove myself from that equation. Weather is coming in from Cyclone Debbie and the idea of having a ciggy on the verandah is romantic,aahhh. -haydo
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Stay safe, Haydo! We see low-lying parts of Mackay are now under evacuation orders. Crawl under the BGT? It's pretty hard to move. All the best for a safe Cyclone Debbie crossing of the coast. Jen
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

Hey Jen, it's a case of no way Jose. Former young apprentice reminded me that I didn't need a ladder for a stunt. Will most likely head down to the beach tonight at high tide for a lesson. I guess without formal training, my bravado is to distract from the possibility that my home maybe lost. Had just cleared a tree that was crowding one of my Pacific Almond trees and today had to make safe a Guava Tree that decided to go all sissy and try and crush my fence. All of this without real Cyclone action. I have full respect for SES. My XXXX GOLD that I had longed for had turned to ice, but on my return after acquiring better beer a large gum tree had fallen across the road just up from me, fellow street members that have never waved since my wife stuck a franjapani flower in my ear could be distressed. The neighbor across the street and us have similar sense of humour, and we laughed and laughed.
I hope we all come away with justified caution and unscathed. The destruction is real, after today i'm questioning my belief that trees around a property will help minimize damage. Really thought Guava trees flexed like a Yogi. My new workmate is a Filipino and he said to focus on my glass, I love comedians. Am impressed that he is building a photography business. Got a reasonable excuse this week for not pursuing the goal as my space is full of anything that can fly with a suitable 200k wind up it's ring hole

from someone who believes this forum is relevant, haydo
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Haydo, did your house and studio survive? Hope it did, and your trees as well and you're not reclaiming bits of your roof from the neighbours' yards. Must have been a huge relief when the cyclone and the king tide didn't coincide.
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

More importantly Jen is that I hope you didn't cop any grief from this system. Rocky is still waiting for the inland water to reach them on Wednesday. I am grateful for coming away from TC Debbie only lightly touched.No time for studio but have been inspired by stories from those that have been badly affected, they know where they need to be so pick themselves up and carry on. Only worked 6.5 hrs last week so a tekta, white and french vanilla glass order is on hold, doesn't matter really as work on the home is overdue. Saw a link to a successful artist over many decades, "I just do what I want!" - haydo
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Haydo, we survived unscathed because we are up high and the worst of the winds and rain went elsewhere. So sorry for all those people who have lost everything, especially those who lost loved ones.

Let's hope Rocky avoids the worst. I'm amazed at the positive attitudes of so many who have lost their homes and so much more and great to see the fabulous volunteer 'Mud Army' relaunched to speed the cleanup. State Emergency Services, also all volunteers, have done, and are still doing, a brilliant job, again. Glad you didn't suffer much damage. Good news, our dam is full and the creek's running and the tanks are overflowing. Jen