It's Magtober...

This is the forum for discussing Warm Glass community projects such as the Magnet Exchange, the Collaboration, and similar efforts.

Moderator: Tony Smith

Nancy

It's Magtober...

Post by Nancy »

and the smell of magnots are in the air. Any takers? I bet there is some brave, organized soul with a nice postal worker out there just itching to step forward as The Sorter.

I remember magless chatter starting up in October. This and snickers are the best part of fall. Brad, anyone waiting in the wings this year?
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: It's Magtober...

Post by Brad Walker »

We'll be making an announcement in a couple of weeks, maybe sooner.
bkr41

Post by bkr41 »

Where are the ones from last year posted? And the instructions some gave??
Marsha
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

bkr41 wrote:Where are the ones from last year posted? And the instructions some gave??
I'm not sure what happened to them, but I'll try to track them down.
Susan Mc

Post by Susan Mc »

Nancy wrote:and the smell of magnots are in the air. Any takers? I bet there is some brave, organized soul with a nice postal worker out there just itching to step forward as The Sorter.

I remember magless chatter starting up in October. This and snickers are the best part of fall. Brad, anyone waiting in the wings this year?
I would be willing to be "The Sorter" this year. I have helped a couple of times so I have an idea of what's involved and I have a Meetup.com glass group that I could probably recruit from.
Susan Mc
(Magtober-♪It's the most wonderful time of the year ♪)
cindyh

Post by cindyh »

I think I volunteered last year to do be organizer this year but if someone else is doing it I'm just as happy being a magless maker! Bring it on!!
"Half the failures of this world arise from pulling in one's horse as he is leaping." --Augustus Hare
wingoda

Post by wingoda »

Just so you will know... "in a couple of weeks"... one week has officially passed... I must be the calendar keeper :lol:
David Wingo
Faye Malench

Post by Faye Malench »

I'm willing to help in some capacity. Rather not travel from Illinois to open and close mailing boxes but I've done stranger things.
DonnaG

Post by DonnaG »

This will be my first magless (kiln issues last year) -- so I will be glad to help out.
Tracy Fries

Post by Tracy Fries »

DonnaG wrote:This will be my first magless (kiln issues last year) -- so I will be glad to help out.
My first as well...............I've had a great time browsing through all of the past years entries - what fun!
charles r. hall

Post by charles r. hall »

The only way that we will get a co-ordinator is for someone to say "I'll do it." Susan and Cindy seem to be the best candidates. I've spent my time in the barrel. Depending on your level of patience and organization, it takes about 40+ hours to be the king or queen of the magless. It is time well spent, notably because you can ask for donations of say, tequilla and chocolate, ( which I discovered works well) and because you get to pick the best example of each magless (which I also did), and finally, you get to post a reply like this, pointing out that is is someone else's turn. Someone needs to step up to the plate. You'll help everyone, and you'll never have to do it again. Unless you live in Frostbite, North Dakota, there will be several magless participants close enough who will be willing to help with the sorting and packaging, which is the hardest part. If not, hopefully you have family and friends who will help for a nacho polatter and a few beers. Avoid those helpers who will drink 20 beers before you start the packaging process.
Charles
"Keep your dreams as clean as silver" John Stewart 1939-2008
Faye Malench

Post by Faye Malench »

Non-tequila drinker so I guess I'm not qualified; although my mailman is mean and I'd like to get even.
DonnaG

Post by DonnaG »

Okay it's after noon but not quite happy hour yet -- however, since Volunteering comes natural to those of us in the Volunteer State, I'll be glad to sort and mail. Have plenty of Patron and lemons - no beer.
sbaddley

Post by sbaddley »

What is Magtober?
Scott B
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

sbaddley wrote:What is Magtober?
Every year since 2002 the Warm Glass bulletin board has held a "Magnet Exchange," in which people exchange refrigerator magnet sized pieces that have made. (The event is sometimes called "Magless Exchange", because they magnets don't have magnets attached to them.) The Exchange is usually announced in October/November, and magnets must be made by February/March. This year's exchange is due to be announced soon.

For more, see this page: http://warmglass.com/magnet/
carol carson

Post by carol carson »

I've watched this every year but have never participated.
So now that I live in Glassland (as Morganica calls it)
I think it's appropriate that I join. I will help too,
just let me know what is needed. I am even
(crazy enough) to say I'll do the 40 hr.+ (queen of the magless) sorting thing,
especially if there are donations of (not tequila) wine ! : )
KaCe

It's Magtober...

Post by KaCe »

Arriba, arriba! Did someone say Tequila? Until I found tequila I never understood why people drank hard liquor. It all tasted terrible to me. It's a good thing I'm not a prolific drinker, tho I have my moments. But all that to say, I live in Tacoma, only a two hour drive to P-land. I am willing to help sort/wrap/ship mags; and maybe sip some agave.

Last year was my first time, now I'm bitten by the Magless Bug. I love studying how some of the pieces were done. It was also good for me to have a project to see through. Isn't it due in Jan or Feb? That time of year is usually better for me too. So if it happens within 200 m/l miles of Tacoma, I'll help. Love Powells, Bullseye, and Saturday Market. I even have cousins there I can bunk with.

KaCe
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

bkr41 wrote:Where are the ones from last year posted? And the instructions some gave??
They're online now, at this link: http://www.warmglass.com/magnet/2012MagnetHow_Tos.pdf
Barbel

Post by Barbel »

Thanks a million, Brad!