2016 Magless Exchange

This is the forum for discussing Warm Glass community projects such as the Magnet Exchange, the Collaboration, and similar efforts.

Moderator: Tony Smith

KaCe

2016 Magless Exchange

Post by KaCe »

Members,
Forget the rain, wind, and cold. Global warming will continue with our without your participation in the Magless Exchange. But if you'd enjoy being part of the 2016 Magless Exchange, please sign up with your name and email. You will experience your own sense of warming as you work on your design with your kiln and again when you experience the extasy of opening your exchanged box full of the traded kiln-worked Magless "jewels". I will confirm with each person who posts here that they want to participate. Sign up is active from February 15 to March 1.

I think we need a minimum number to do the Exchange. (I will do it even if there are only 3.) So, if two more people want to do it it's a go. Sign up. We can be fluid about the postage until we see how many want to participate. Would anyone enjoy there being a theme? If yes, I was thinking either a theme like: nature or the sea
or theme like: show and emotion with you magless
or no theme... I want to make it enjoyable, educational and easy... three E's.

2016 Magless Exchange List
Your Name
XxXxXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX EmailXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXFee Received

1.*KaCe Whitacre, organizer this year atwozstudio@gmail.com
2. Debbie Shank aka Grammy. dennisanddebbieshank@gmail.com
3. Joyce Walters beadedpony@bigsky.net
4.Nancy Barry glasslady21107@gmail.com
Last edited by KaCe on Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:07 am, edited 7 times in total.
grammy

Re: 2016 Magless Exchange

Post by grammy »

Debbie Shank aka Grammy. dennisanddebbieshank@gmail.com
KaCe

Post by KaCe »

With only three of us participating in the magless exchange I'm sure this signals the end of this endeavor. We can use the small US Postal box.
Screen Shot 2016-03-01 at 1.37.16 PM.png
When you ship your maglesses, enclose enough money to ship back the box. Put a label in the box, so I can put it on a new box. And we have an exchange. I'm not sure who gets the yearly samples...but will find out.

Each of us will send the others one of our maglesses PLUS one for the board. Total= four.

KaCe
The game is a foot...
Last edited by KaCe on Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Won't you need bigger packages or are they unusually small males? Are you cloning them to get three? Interesting project.....
KaCe

Post by KaCe »

We are making tiles no larger than 2" square. It could be 1.5 x 2 or 1 x 1, I suppose 1 x3 or some other combination. As there are only three signed up that should hold all of the tiles. Did you want to join in the fun? I'll add you to the list if you wish to participate. Let me know.

KaCe

You are so funny. It took me rereading and correcting spell checker to get your joke. Spell checker had changed magless to males... cloning would be an interesting project, indeed. :lol:
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

I guessed it was spellcheck being bossy. I tried to put a smiley face at the end of my message but couldn't make it stick. Jen

(Still can't add a smiley!HELP!)
KaCe

Post by KaCe »

Jen,
Just do it the old fashion way with a colon: a dash- and a right bracket) = :-) Easy Peasy (it substitutes the emicon automatically)

KaCe
KaCe

Post by KaCe »

I think this is the smallest exchange for anything that I have been in. It ought to be easy and fun. Last call for participants... anyone else want to join the fun?

KaCe
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Thanks KaCee. Didn't know that would automatically substitute. I don't get out much. How do you type the embarrassed emoticon?? Jen :oops:
nancyB

Post by nancyB »

I would like to join if it is not too late to do so..
nancy barry
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

KaCe, will you be posting pics in this thread? With only four participants that should be doable. I'm sure I'm not the only person who'd love to see them. Jen
DrRourke

Post by DrRourke »

I think their may need to be a wider range to sign up for something like this. Perhaps a couple months in place of a couple weeks would help?
KaCe

Post by KaCe »

@DrRourke, I'm not sure how long the exchange has been going on, but it wasn't just begun this year. It is an on-going endeavour. The announcement was over a couple of months. I enjoy the making of something that helps me "stretch". I'm not sure if it will happen next year. That isn't up to me. I only volunteered to manage those who wished to join this year. If you're interested in join in and doing the exchange be sure to watch the thread in January. In February of this year it was announced the sign up would end on March first, so the participants would have a little more than a month to make their submissions. but one person asked to join late, and that wasn't an issue. This assumes that the more than 100 who have participated in the past and know the time of year it happens, are watching to sign up. Next year if it happens the coordinator can announce it earlier or run it later. It is a wonderfully fun thing to do. the notes are worth doing it. It helps others to make what you made. I will be posting photos and "how tos" here when they are in.
Melodie

Post by Melodie »

As someone that was there for the first exchange it's very sad to see this exchange dying off. :cry: :cry: I haven't done any glass work in the last couple years so I haven't participated. I was just coming to see the pics of this years exchange. Wish I had checked sooner, with so few people I would have joined in too.
grammy

Post by grammy »

KaCee are you ready to post pictures?
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Melodie, get back to working glass. Yours were the most amazing creations. Your rose is on the fridge as I write but I must confess to having to use epoxy when the tack fuse failed but at this point I can't remember the circumstances of that event other than I don't think it was a self destruct.
Melodie

Post by Melodie »

Hi Kevin!

I've always loved your work also, I use the dish you sent me long ago every day. :) If I had known the Magless was going to be so small this year I would have dusted off my glass, torch and kiln. I remember a time when it would take me a couple months to get enough pieces made to send in. Making 75 - 125 pieces was always a challenge. I really would have loved to have been a part of this again, so sad that I missed it. :cry:

So sorry your rose piece came apart! :oops: I was trying to tack those at a little lower temp so the petals didn't totally droop. Could be I didn't go quite high enough to get a good bond.
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Do not be :oops: over the tack fuse failure which was at least partly my doing for that was what the original magless exchanges were about. The intention was to do something you had not done before and to not necessarily tell everyone how it was done but rather to make them think.
Yours of course inspired awe. =D> =D> =D>
I have finally been gluing magnets on them and I look at them as little treasures. Well, not all of the maglesses were little treasures, some of them I have let go of as they did not and were not about to inspire me. Those were good for the experiences of the makers.
The exchange has run its course at this point and it served its purpose.
I review the old magless pieces, 275 or there abouts, each time I go to the fridge and they still inspire.
Glass is such an amazing material it is sad to see what is happening to the manufacturers.
I have a pendant piece I made with some dichroic glass I have never seen anywhere since and know like many of the maglesses such as your Rose or Calla, never to be repeated by anyone.
So get back to work! :lol:
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

I have Melody's dark pink rose on a black base... (I think that is it). It is the most beautiful piece I ever received in the maglesses. =D>

Dana W.
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

That is the one. Be gentle with it or you too may be getting out some epoxy. The glue job is totally invisible if done carefully. It is incredible that the tack fuse was able to be completed without the destruction of the blossom shape.