Wishing you all the best.... - WarmGlass.com

Wishing you all the best....

This is the OFF-TOPIC forum, the place to post if you want to talk about the weather, your cats, Spab sightings, bathrobe fashions, and related non-glass discussion. Go here for more information about Spab: http://www.warmglass.com/Spab2.htm (Please note: inactive topics in the Spab forum are removed after seven days of inactivity.)

Moderators: Tony Smith, Brad Walker

Buttercup

Wishing you all the best....

Postby Buttercup » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:55 am

Down here we are watching your terrible fires with much concern and hope all our friends up there come through with minimal or no damage. The wildlife loss must be catastrophic, too.

Let's hope our governments get the message about the facts of climate change before it's too late; it's already perilously close to too late now :(

elenor

Re: Wishing you all the best....

Postby elenor » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:36 am

It seems the fires are the result of arson, not climate change.
Elenor Conn

jim burchett

Postby jim burchett » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:32 am

The severity of the fires is 100% due to Climate Change, let's hope we get the message soon
"No, you cant scare Me, I'm sticking to the UNION. I'm stickin to the UNION till the day I die" Woody Guthrie

Barry Kaiser

Postby Barry Kaiser » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:47 am

No Jim,
I helped in the 1970 fires (they were allowing civilians). At the time they said the reason for the blazes was the lack of clearing of the underbrush. In addition they did not (and still don't) allow controlled burns. Mother Nature will tell you that if you give enough fuel, she will, at some time, take care of the problem. That is what is happening.
So no, Climate change is not the reason for everything.

Kevin Midgley

Postby Kevin Midgley » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:35 am

And to Barry's comment these large fires have happened before. Google Tillamook Burn. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tillamook_Burn
If you leave lots of fuel in the forests because of Smokey the Bear policies and build houses of burnable materials surrounded by burnable materials the current fires are the result.
It was the same thing in Fort MacMurray in Alberta where the community and governments spent no time or money on fire prevention. It doesn't matter how they start the results are always the same.

Climate change is a crock method for claiming this and that happens because of man. There is always change and always will be change. The news story of the day. Panic everyone into the cave where Foxy Loxy will eat all the Chicken Littles.
It is the same crap with the Corona Virus. Panic everyone into wearing masks when viruses go right through them. The virus death rate is lower than the drug overdose deaths in Canada.
The surveillance state is here already and Orwell's dystopian world is becoming reality.

I live in a small town in a rainforest. I still have a metal roof and metal siding on my home.
On the interior I am using intumescent flame retardent paint.
Being prepared for strange events is the wise thing to do.

Perhaps this morning the smoke will move on. At least the stink isn't quite so bad. Yesterday we had the joy of breathing it as wet smoke mixed with fog.

Remember Chicken Little was war time propaganda. Now it is being manipulated and used against us by social media. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vnp4kj5lLOU The boogy man climate change is here. Run!!!!!

AndyT

Postby AndyT » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:22 pm

I live here in So. Oregon. We have lost 1500 homes and over 100 businesses. In the mountains, we have several fires with mandatory evacuations. Air Quality Index is at Hazardous Levels. Some of the fires have been lightning caused and some have been arson or man made. The fire that hit Talent and Phoenix, Oregon is still under investigation and is considered a crime scene.

jim burchett

Postby jim burchett » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:12 pm

I watched the President in California telling the Gov the same crap, even though 67% of the forests in CA are Federal land. Years of Drought, excessive heat, and strong winds are all exacerbating these fires causing them to intensify catastrophically. Hearing your explanations Re: Climate change remind me of the frog in a pot...he will sit there, as the heat increases until he's burned...it happens incrementally, and denying it won't make it go away. Hopefully our Govts focus will change in a few months.
"No, you cant scare Me, I'm sticking to the UNION. I'm stickin to the UNION till the day I die" Woody Guthrie

Barry Kaiser

Postby Barry Kaiser » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:58 pm

Yea yea yea Jim. Usual crap!
If Trump cured cancer you would complain about population explosion
If Biden Was found molesting a child, you would claim he was helping the kid learn life lessons.

BTW: controlled burns have been a part of nature since time began. You just can't stand that Trump recognizes the fact.

Barry Kaiser

Postby Barry Kaiser » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:58 pm

And we're off to the election.

jim simmons

Postby jim simmons » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:08 pm

Nature and "controlled burns?" Come on.
The other Jim

Barry Kaiser

Postby Barry Kaiser » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:24 pm

Well Jim,
I you would study it you will find that, as long as their have been forests, lightning has started fires creating "controlled" burns.
These consistent fires burn off the underbrush. In fact some species of trees depend on fire to propagate. Their seed pods are opened by heat.

Yes, oh skeptical one, nature does have its version of controlled burns.

In fact one of the main contributors to these huge fires is that small localized lightning fires are put out (thank you Smokey) thus creating more and more tinder for the large fires to explode.

And that folks is your nature lesson for today. As certain segments of the political population (often spelled s i e r r a)will deny, there is science and benefit behind the control burn scenario.

jim burchett

Postby jim burchett » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:59 pm

Not denying that poor forest management has contributed to the problems in CA although a large part are under federal control. But how can the evidence that we all see of general increases in temperature and changing weather patterns are also contributing to the increased devastation. It is not only fires in the west, but the increase in Hurricanes, melting ice shells, etc. Why continue to deny the rvidence?

Barry Kaiser

Postby Barry Kaiser » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:37 pm

Not denying the evidence. Just denying that taking our money and sending it to third world countries will stop it.
BTW Climate is always changing. Mother Nature has her way of dealing with it. IN this case she is telling California to get its cleanup act together. She says "Start control burns." I heard her say it just the other day.

The funding for any cleanup starts in the house of representatives. Talk with house leadership if you want it funded. Then again, cleaning up the underbrush will endanger the fleet footed purple tree slug so Sierra club won't allow it.

Lynn Perry

Postby Lynn Perry » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:55 pm

Very interesting, I guess. Too bad we don't have as much to say about glass....
Lynn Perry

jim burchett

Postby jim burchett » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:59 pm

I agree Barry Mother Nature is taking care of the problem, unfortunately , in this case the problem is US. And she will continue " taking care of it" until we are a bad memory to the earth unless we change.

Barry Kaiser

Postby Barry Kaiser » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:55 pm

I hate to sound depressing Jim, but you are right. WE are the problem. Too many of us.
The greater the population, the greater the need for sustenance. The population keeps growing geometrically (almost). We need more pesticides , fertilizers, (dare I say) cow farts, and we continue to rape the sea. And playing fast and loose with the money of the carbon producers isn't doing a thing to address this. World population in 1950-2.75 billion. Current population 7 billion. Projected in 2050-10 billion. 2100-13 billion.
And you are wasting your time focusing on the minor problem of climate change. Mother nature changes the climate, and, yes, she uses the input from man.
BTW: Haven't heard anything about the boogie-man ozone layer recently. IN the 1980's, that was going to create global cooling.

Kevin Midgley

Postby Kevin Midgley » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:06 am

To those who think the science on anything is settled should think back a while.

If at any time the concept of 'the science is settled' were true, then the world would still be flat, the sun would be going around it every 24 hours, and there would be only the 4 elements of earth, air, fire, and water to design with.

jim simmons

Postby jim simmons » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:49 pm

WHAT? You mean to tell me that this is not true?
Blasphemy, I tell you, Blasphemy :mrgreen:
The other Jim

Barry Kaiser

Postby Barry Kaiser » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:56 pm

Even worse The theory that the dinosaurs died from a cataclysmic meteor strike is really false.
They were smokers and died from lung cancer. The tobacco companies are very clever in suppressing this fact.
You can look this up on Snopes.

Anyone else have some common falsehood that we all are fed.

Return to “Spab's Forum”