Pinholes after sandblasting

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

JenniferB

Pinholes after sandblasting

Post by JenniferB »

I've been finding some small pinholes on the surface of some plates I'm making after I sandblast them. These holes are not there after fusing and before sandblasting. I'm only sandblasting at about 40 PSI. Is there any way of avoiding or repairing these holes? I really don't want to have to fill the holes with fine frit and re-fuse if I can possibly avoid it, particularly since the frit seems to fire to a different surface appearance than the surrounding glass when I fire polish.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Pinholes after sandblasting

Post by Brad Walker »

Most likely, the pinholes are left behind from small air bubbles. I'm not aware of any easy way to prevent or repair, it's the nature of the beast.

Even Klaus Moje's pieces, which sell for thousands of dollars, have these small pinholes.
JenniferB

Re: Pinholes after sandblasting

Post by JenniferB »

Brad Walker wrote:Most likely, the pinholes are left behind from small air bubbles. I'm not aware of any easy way to prevent or repair, it's the nature of the beast.

Even Klaus Moje's pieces, which sell for thousands of dollars, have these small pinholes.
Well it doesn't solve the problem but it certainly makes me feel better. Thanks Brad. Maybe I can now charge thousands for my pieces?? :wink: