Need help with bending glass - rookie!!

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

unmesh

Need help with bending glass - rookie!!

Post by unmesh »

Hello everyone,
I just discovered this board. I am a researcher at the University of Michigan, Architecture school. I am studying large "light pipes" that can conduct light. Though I have been working with plastic (acrylic) so far, it tends to get very expensive for practical applications. Glass is a possible alternate, but only if I can bend it.

I am very new to all this, but I think I can get access to a klin in the art school next to us. What would I need to start? Where would I be able to get it?

I wanted to know which kinds of glass I can bend easily, how sharp the bends can be. The best would be if I could use the everyday 'flat' window glass, are there kind of window glass that are not 'greenish" ? Also what thickness can be bent, how does one avoid cracking, wrinkling and other problems that might affect its optical qualities?

I know that thats a lot of questions but any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Abhi
Susan Wright

Post by Susan Wright »

One place to check with is the science labs there and see if any one there makes their own glass stuff. Lots of lab glass is made in the lab. Also check with the arts department as they may have glass workers there- bead makers, pipemakers. Alot of the head shops have pipemakers that bend glass tubes.

You might also ask this question at http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums in the glass arts section. It sounds like you probably need pyrex tubing and a flame would be more up the line of what you need.

Susan W
Jerry Barnett

Post by Jerry Barnett »

The link at the top of the page to Tutorials will get you started in understanding what can be done in a kiln to shape glass and how. Beyond that, there are books on the subject. If it still looks feasible, find someone with experience in kiln work to help you.

Any glass of any thickness can be bent with the right equipment and process. Any bend will distort the cross section of the glass at least in the area of the bend. The more extreme the bend, the greater the distortion. Best to bend will be a tradeoff between availability, temperature, and controllability. Best for your end purpose could also be a function of chemistry and reflection/refraction indices.

You might be able to find window glass without a green tint when viewed on edge, but in general there is no effort made to eliminate the ions that cause it because the tint doesn't affect its intended purpose. Your local plate glass shops should be able to provide you with information on the availability and cost of crystal clear plate. Bullseye Glass's 1401 is crystal clear. There is a link at the top of the page.

The three major types of glass are soda-lime, borosilicate, and lead. The University's science/engineering library should have glass references that describe them.

The best single repository of information on glass and its technology is the Rakow Research Library of the Corning Museum of Glass. Contact information is available at http://www.cmog.org. They have very friendly librarians, and the University's library can arrange an inter-library loan.
Clifford Ross

Post by Clifford Ross »

Hey Unmesh- - - find a neon signmaker and get him (her) to make the tubes for you. Or take lessons and bend your own. :idea: