Buying a Kiln

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Sonje

Buying a Kiln

Post by Sonje »

I'm looking for some guidance from the Board before investing in a new kiln. I currently am using a Paragon SC-3 (0.28 cu ft) and it's great but much too small. I had a great conversation with Marty at Centre DeVerre this afternoon and am looking at a few different kilns. I'd appreciate your comments, both pros and cons, on them.

1. Paragon Fusion-10 23"x11"
2. Jen-Ken Kiln, 24"x11", Professional Series
3. Skutt GM-1014, 23.5"x13.5"

Thanks in advance. Sonje
Valerie

Buying a Kiln

Post by Valerie »

I have just purchased a Paragon Fusion 10 with the Orton 12 key
My husband is picking it up from the shipping company tomorrow.
I have to work all weekend 8-( so I will not get to play with it at all
But soon as I get it fired up I will let you know.
It is going to be a loooooong weekend. :shock:
Jo Holt

Post by Jo Holt »

Sonje,

I've had the Jen Ken 24" for 4 years and it is great; since then I've added 2 more Jen Kens- the last one was the 41"

Marty will help you and the people at Jen Ken are very helpful. The only repair I had to make was to replace the lid element and their instructions were easy to follow; Judy S gave me good advice, too!

Have fun!

Jo
dee

Re: Buying a Kiln

Post by dee »

Sonje Mitchell wrote:I'm looking for some guidance from the Board before investing in a new kiln. I currently am using a Paragon SC-3 (0.28 cu ft) and it's great but much too small. I had a great conversation with Marty at Centre DeVerre this afternoon and am looking at a few different kilns. I'd appreciate your comments, both pros and cons, on them.

1. Paragon Fusion-10 23"x11"
2. Jen-Ken Kiln, 24"x11", Professional Series
3. Skutt GM-1014, 23.5"x13.5"

Thanks in advance. Sonje
Sonje, marty is a great advisor! :D personally i use the jen ken kilns, have a large one about the size you mention above and one of their smaller ones that i started with. i would highly recommend jen ken and a 12 key controller on it. the only other thing i can add is if you are thinking at all of doing drop rings, get it 15" deep.

D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
J Campbell

Post by J Campbell »

All I can say is get the largest one you can afford. I wish I would have lisen to the advise here myself. Instead, I have one kiln that I don't use and three that I do. Good luck. Jane
charlie

Post by charlie »

J Campbell wrote:All I can say is get the largest one you can afford. I wish I would have lisen to the advise here myself. Instead, I have one kiln that I don't use and three that I do. Good luck. Jane
get the next size up from the largest one you can afford. you'll wish you had in under 6 months.

also, get a square one. you can put a large square piece in a square kiln. you can't put a large square piece in a round one. for example, the largest square i can put into my 23" round kiln is about 13" on a side, or 10x20" rectangular. :(