Haze on underside of bowl

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Val

Haze on underside of bowl

Post by Val »

I keep getting a haze on the underside of clear bowls when slumping. This doesn't appear to be devitrification. I have used 2 different molds and have the same problem. It doesn't feel rough but looks like it is cloudy. tried various rates (all slow) nothing seems to help.

Can anybody please help. :(

Val
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

do you fire on thinfire? I know someone who has reported that when she full fuses clear glass on thinfire, she often gets a cloudiness when she slumps.

Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
Jane Lindell

Post by Jane Lindell »

What kind of glass are you using? Has the bowl already been fused?

What temperature are you slumping at?

Some more details will help.
Val

Post by Val »

I'm slumping a fused blank, base is Spectrum 96 clear, straight on kilnshelf.

Rate 370 to 1250
hold 20 minutes
then as fast as possible to 950
hold 30 :?
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

This is a long shot, but...If you look at the haze, is it an overall haze, or can you discern a faint repeated pattern like a bar pattern? I had some Uro machine rolled clear that was somehow contaminated in the manufacturing process and you could see a haze that looked like roller marks on the glass. Subtle, but unmistakably a bar pattern.

If it's that your best bet is to clean the glass ultra clean with soap and water with a green scrubby and a good rinse and dry. And do this between firings as well. I didn't find any good solution :( . Sometimes it was there and sometimes not, but you can see it on the sheet if you look closely enough too. Never showed up as a haze until the second firing. :?
Val

Post by Val »

Thanks all who replied. Looks like your longshot was right Cynthia. I used a different sheet of glass and all is well. :)