Capping with clear (on the bottom)

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

quill

Capping with clear (on the bottom)

Post by quill »

I want to do some small fused dichroic cabochons. I thought I would start with a square about 4"by 4" made of small pieces of dichroic capped with a piece of clear, fuse this and then cut them into cabochon size and fuse again.

I am worried about getting bubbles trapped between the clear and the dichroic and was wondering if I could avoid the problem by...

Fusing it turned over first (with the full piece of clear on the bottom) using thinfire and then turning it over and fusing it right side up the second time?

Does anyone do it this way? Is there a reason it would not work, or even no advantage to doing it like this? Your opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

I often fire down and flip. You are right, it should make a bubble difference for you, especially if you fire long enough for the bubbles to escape. But I have never done it with dichro. Do the dicro users out there have any ideas?
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS