Fusing 3/8 float glass

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Luiza

Fusing 3/8 float glass

Post by Luiza »

Hi
I´m having problems to full fuse two layers of 3/8 in float glass. I know I have to do some kind of dam, but I can´t figure how.
I need to fuse two square layers 18x18 in, and two circular ones, 16 in diameter .
Thanks for any advice
Luiza
Bert Weiss

Re: Fusing 3/8 float glass

Post by Bert Weiss »

Luiza wrote:Hi
I´m having problems to full fuse two layers of 3/8 in float glass. I know I have to do some kind of dam, but I can´t figure how.
I need to fuse two square layers 18x18 in, and two circular ones, 16 in diameter .
Thanks for any advice
Luiza
Luiza

I fuse 2 layers of 10mm all the time. Only once did I try a dam and it killed me. The glass hit the dam and curled up then shrunk back and became too small.

I often make the top piece larger than the bottom by it's thickness which makes a rolled edge. The edge is especially good on the circle.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Luiza

Re: Fusing 3/8 float glass

Post by Luiza »

Luiza wrote: Luiza

I fuse 2 layers of 10mm all the time. Only once did I try a dam and it killed me. The glass hit the dam and curled up then shrunk back and became too small.

I often make the top piece larger than the bottom by it's thickness which makes a rolled edge. The edge is especially good on the circle.
Hi Bert
What´s the schedule you use? I was wondering about the theory that all glasses likes to be 2 layers high. The glass won´t flow over the shelf and spread? :?: :?: :?:
Please, I really need help with this problem :cry: If you can send me the schedule it will be very helpfull
Thanks a lot
Luiza