Smoke Detectors

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Jerry

Smoke Detectors

Post by Jerry »

In my kiln area I need to have a good smoke detector. The problem I'm having with the one I've already got is that everytime I open the kiln door to do what ever I need to do, the smoke detector goes off. I can move it to another room but run the chance of forgetting to bring it back. So I need one that won't scream everytime I open the kiln; I like to do raking and this dectector is a real pain.

Ideas please,
Jerry
Clifford Ross

Post by Clifford Ross »

If your detector is ceiling mounted, try mounting it about a foot down on the wall. This may help, and still allow the thing to do it's job. t :idea: :lol:
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

Moving the smoke detector to the wall is a good idea and if that doesn't work look and see what type of detector you have. There are two types, ionization and photoelectric. The ionization detector is very sensitive. The photoelectric might be a better choice if you have the ionization type.

See the following link for more info.

http://www.usinspect.com/SmokeDetectors ... rTypes.asp

Ron
Last edited by Ron Coleman on Sat May 31, 2003 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry

Smoke Detectors

Post by Jerry »

Okay, folks, down the wall it comes. It's already on the wall but pretty high up.

Appreciate the advice and I'll let you know what happens.

Jerry
Jack Bowman

Post by Jack Bowman »

Don't know if this will work for you but when I need to take the detector down when I am cooking I put it on my pillow so it gets back up before I go to bed. If you have a place you're sure to go to after combing, put the detector there.

Jack
Jerry

Smoke Detectors

Post by Jerry »

Jack,
You gave me quite a laugh. It is a wonderful idea and I'll take it under advisement. In the meantime, and I mean no offense by this, consider submitting this idea to Better Homes and Gardens; they'd probably pay you for it.

Thanks again,
Jerry
Jack Bowman

Post by Jack Bowman »

Jerry,

I've used that trick for over 20 years now. One other thing to consider. They make a detector for people with cooking skills such as mine. It has a button that disables the unit for a certain amount of time then resets. I saw this many years ago in a magazine. Somebody should invent one with different sensitivity settings such as "pot roast" "grilled cheese" "combing spectrum" "combing bullseye" and finally, a big hit here in the west this year, "brush fire".

Jack
Clifford Ross

Post by Clifford Ross »

Does that mean " when you hear the smoke alarm, dinner is served"? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jack Bowman

Post by Jack Bowman »

Does that mean " when you hear the smoke alarm, dinner is served"?

It means that dinner is served when dinner quits smoking or the pizza arrives, whichever comes first.

Jack
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

Jack Bowman wrote:Jerry,

I've used that trick for over 20 years now. One other thing to consider. They make a detector for people with cooking skills such as mine. It has a button that disables the unit for a certain amount of time then resets. I saw this many years ago in a magazine. Somebody should invent one with different sensitivity settings such as "pot roast" "grilled cheese" "combing spectrum" "combing bullseye" and finally, a big hit here in the west this year, "brush fire".

Jack

I was just checking out the kiln progress Jack. Looks like it's just about ready to fire.

Ron
charlie

Re: Smoke Detectors

Post by charlie »

Jerry wrote:Okay, folks, down the wall it comes. It's already on the wall but pretty high up.

Appreciate the advice and I'll let you know what happens.

Jerry
note that they don't work if they are mounted too far down the wall. heat and smoke rises, and current code is that wired detectors have to be mounted to the ceiling at the highest point, not counting skylight tunnels.
Jack Bowman

Post by Jack Bowman »

Ron,

I test fired the kiln once and it has plenty of power. Still plenty of testing to do regarding temp variations throught the box.

I decided to move everything into our below grade one car garage which is all concrete except the door leading into the basement. I'll put a fire door there. I should have everything ready just in time to go to Whistler, BC to help set up a hot shop there. Probably won't get any serious use out of the new kiln till August. But then if Whistler works out well I might be able to squeeze in a trip to Michigan to visit family before the summer is over.

Jack