kiln mishap

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

deena

kiln mishap

Post by deena »

I just purchased an evenheat coffin kiln 13" deep. (3 weeks)The lid with elements is attached with 1-1" screw with chain on lid and same on body of kiln. I was nervous the first time i saw this and have been very gentle in opening the lid. WHile changing out the shelves the screw came out on the controller side and the lid flew back. Major lid damage and thermocoupling also. Has anyone else had this problem? They are sending another lid but am afraid this will happen again. Is thier any other safegaurd I can install to prevent this from happening again?

Thanks Deena :cry:
lyndasglass

Post by lyndasglass »

Deena,
You might want to consider putting a counter (?) weight on your lid. I have done that with several of my kilns especially my coffin kiln. All I did was go to the hardward store and buy some twisted wire cable and pulleys. I put a hook in the ceiling with the pulley on it. Because I didn't want the weights above my kiln, I put another hook w/pulley next to the wall. I ran the cable through the handles, through the pulleys and attached old weight lifting weights to the cable. You have to figure out how much weight ( some people use an old paint bucket filled with sand) to put on the cable. You want enough to hold your lid open when it is open, but not so much that it won't let you close the lid.

I recently bought a new 23/9" Kiln. The lid isn't terribly heavy but I don't want to accidently drop it when I am closing the lid. So I put the counter weight system on it too. It makes it so much nicer to open and close.

I hope this helps
Lynda
(p.s. forgive my bad spelling, where is the spell check?)
DonMcClennen

Evenheat lid

Post by DonMcClennen »

Deena I don't see how this is causing you such trouble. The chain holding my lid is exactly as you describe and has never been a problem. Could it be your chain is too long thus causing your lid to open too far causing extra pressure on these screws? My chain just allows my lid to slightly go past the vertical balance point putting very minimal stress on the chain and screws. Years of use has presented no problems.
Don
"The Glassman"
deena

Post by deena »

I wish I was not having this problem. Only having the kiln 3 weeks this was a disaster for me. The only thing I can think of is that the screw was not seated properly.

I am going to set up that pulley system. Thanks so much for your help
Lia Howe

Post by Lia Howe »

Lids can be tricky. I got mine from Pottery Supply House in Oakville (Ontario,Canada) I have a large kiln. Then told me that I didn't need and safety supports to keep my lid open. I did anyway. I just have a closing hook on a chain that just assures my lid stays where it is. The problem I did have was that someone at the factory forgat to put the screws and attachments to keep the sides of the kiln attached to the bottom. My husband discovered this problem when he was moving the kiln with a friend (While I was out of town). Then picked it up by the handles on the sides( they say that they are made to bear the weight of the kiln) One side lifted up 4 inches. My poor husband had to call me and tell me. I was horrified. NO damage was done but I think it scared him more. I called the factory and yup someone screwed up. Always listen to the factory instructions but a little extra caution never hurt anyone.Lia
Rob Morey

Post by Rob Morey »

I want to be able to open my kiln while it is hot and manipulate the glass so I rigged up a counter wieght with a block and tackle pulley system. It opens easily and holds the lid there until I am ready to close. Here is a picture of what it looks like. (ignore the cow on the wall, he keeps the bad spirits away.)

I use free weights from the sporting goods store as weights, but a small cinder block works well too. I only open the kiln about 12 inches or so, but if you want to open it further just shorten the line to the weight.

Rob
Mark Hughes

Post by Mark Hughes »

I have one of Phil Teefy's kilns. He counter balances his lids with heavy duty springs, mine opens & closes very easily with no chance of an accident. He has also worked out all the problems other people have been having with their kilns dropping crud onto their work. :D
Mark Hughes
deena

Post by deena »

Thanks so much for the pictures and all of the help. Another project in the works. :P Deena