Slides/photographs of kiln-formed wall sconces wanted

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

judith

Slides/photographs of kiln-formed wall sconces wanted

Post by judith »

Greetings,
I am researching for an article on kiln-formed wall sconces (or other types of lighting fixtures) I would welcome slides and/or photos - and any information you might want to share. I will, of course, fully credit each contributing artist.

thanks,

judith
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Judith,

Take a look at Patty Gray's website http://www.pattygray.com under architectural glass. She has made hundreds of fused/slumped wall sconces over the years.

You can contact her at patty@pattygray.com

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Glenda Kronke

wall sconces

Post by Glenda Kronke »

Hi Judith,

We have been making wall sconces and lighting fixtures for over 15 years. Please take a look at our website under lighting. (see www at bottom of this post)

You can contact me off board if you need more detailed information.

glenda
Don Burt

Re: Slides/photographs of kiln-formed wall sconces wanted

Post by Don Burt »

judith wrote:Greetings,
I am researching for an article on kiln-formed wall sconces (or other types of lighting fixtures) I would welcome slides and/or photos - and any information you might want to share. I will, of course, fully credit each contributing artist.

thanks,

judith
If you want something a little different you might chekc with Jaime at http://www.absolutearts.com/portfolios/e/enamels/

I've seen her sconces at craft(snicker) shows. THey're copper screen with enamels making kind of a plique a jour thing.
Cheryl

Meltdown

Post by Cheryl »

I hope you'll call over to Meltdown, as Irwin Timmers there does some lovely sconces & teaches courses in architectural lighting design. I don't think he frequents this board.
Vickie

Post by Vickie »

:( I am interested in the responses to this posting, as I have made one wall sconce, using a BE mold. The glass turned out great, but now I can't figure out how to attach it and get it ready electrically to attach it to the wall. BE sells the hardware, but it is $90 a piece! If anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them. I feel like I bought this mold, and won't be able to use it because of the electrical stuff.
Thanks,
Vickie
charlie holden

Post by charlie holden »

You can see some of my stuff at eclectic-electric.com

Warning, it's a wide bandwidth site -- flash and lots of images.

One of these days I'm going to put up a site of my own.

ch
Linda Reed

Post by Linda Reed »

Vickie wrote::( but now I can't figure out how to attach it and get it ready electrically to attach it to the wall. ... I feel like I bought this mold, and won't be able to use it because of the electrical stuff.
What I was planning to do was take a store bought light (which can be pretty cheap if you buy something ugly at some discount store)... and just replace their glass with my glass.

Has anyone else done this? Is there an issue I should be aware of if I do?

I've made sconces from wood - craftsman style - before and just mounted the bare bulb thingy you get at the hardware store and then attached the wood to the wall so it would lift off for bulb changes. For glass, it seemed like it would be better to just use a premade fixture, drill the hole in the glass, use a rubber washer and bingo.

No? :?:

Linda
charlie holden

Post by charlie holden »

Linda Reed wrote: What I was planning to do was take a store bought light (which can be pretty cheap if you buy something ugly at some discount store)... and just replace their glass with my glass.

Has anyone else done this? Is there an issue I should be aware of if I do?

I've made sconces from wood - craftsman style - before and just mounted the bare bulb thingy you get at the hardware store and then attached the wood to the wall so it would lift off for bulb changes. For glass, it seemed like it would be better to just use a premade fixture, drill the hole in the glass, use a rubber washer and bingo.

No? :?:

Linda
Yes, that's the easiest thing. Look for a bathroom fixture that mounts the glass using a single post through the center of the glass. You can buy longer threaded posts, (called nipples in the trade) so that you can accomodate bigger glass. Make sure the nipple can be unscrewed from the fixture before you buy it. Then you just have to buy a drill bit and drill your glass.

Bullseye's sconce bracket mounts the glass without having to drill. That is part of the reason it is so expensive. The other part is that it is expensive to get a fixture aproved by UL.

ch
phlava

Post by phlava »

Hi Judith -

We do a lot of kiln formed sconces! Our website is under construction, but you can go to it at http://www.trellage-ferrill.com. We should have it up and running properly in about a week or so. I would be happy to email some photos to you as well. Since we're an architecture firm that does our own glass work, we've done lighting packages for several restaurants and some residential projects as well. Let me know what you think!

- Patty
:)
Keith

Not Kiln Formed but still Cool

Post by Keith »

Since 2002 I have been making Stainless Steel and Stained Glass Sconces. They are very 'moderne' and a little Art Deco. I do use some interesting laminates including some organic material and hand made papers. If you are interested goto http://www.atelierdevitraux.com