Identifing Some Glass

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Nancy Juhasz

Identifing Some Glass

Post by Nancy Juhasz »

Hi all, I was fortunate to be able to buy some fusing glass and decals from a lady who inherited if from her Dad that had a studio. Here is my problem she has no idea what kind of glass it is. I have looked at Bullseye and Wasser colors and it isn't there. This stuff is at the very least 10 years old it is thin (1/16) it is rather smooth a couple of the pieces are somewhat streaky. There is one that the little labe he had attached says red on 108 which is red blatchy patches on a blue, back side is all blue. If you could help me identify this stuff I would be more than happy. The decals are Color Brite and the back says "most decals fire at cone .010-017, gold .019, glass.020. So my question is which cone and what would that temp be? Thanks Nanc
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

If the glass is all opaque, no transparent, it's probably old Wasser. Wasser has been made several times by several different manufacturers. It's most likely close to 90 COE and is probably compatible with itself, but you'll have to test to be sure.

I don't know about the decals, but it shouldn't be hard to fire a couple to find out. Try firing to your normal fusing temp and see what happens. (017 is 1377F, 010 is 1641, so fusing temp splits the difference)
Don Burt

Re: Identifing Some Glass

Post by Don Burt »

Nanc wrote:clip
from a lady who inherited if from her Dad that had a studio.
clip
This stuff is at the very least 10 years old it is thin (1/16) it is rather smooth a couple of the pieces are somewhat streaky.
Inherited? The world has apparently lost an long-time fuser. Did any of you oldtimers feel a ripple in The Force?