Felisatti question

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Lisa Allen

Felisatti question

Post by Lisa Allen »

Is this tool meant to replace a standing wet belt sander or is it for a more specific purpose? I have had a belt sander on my wish list for a while,but ultimately don't really have the room for it. But I would have the room for this hand held.....especially if it would serve the same purpose.

Thanks
Lisa Allen
http://www.lisa-allen.com
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
Steph Mader

Angle grinders

Post by Steph Mader »

Hi Lisa,

When Doug Randall showed it in his coldworking workshop, he used it to grind & polish a large flat surface. That's difficult to manage on a wet belt sander, which is better for smaller surfaces like edges.

I do some cast panels, I'll be using mine on the backs of those panels. By the way, I called Granite City tools and they don't have the Italian one anymore, but do have a couple other water-feed grinders.

Steph
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Post by Amy Schleif-Mohr »

Huh? When did you call?
I called a week and a half ago and ordered it and it arrived a few days later.
Amy
Lisa Allen

Re: Angle grinders

Post by Lisa Allen »

Thanks, Steph. I am guessing if you had a way t stabilize the piece, you could probably work the edges as well? Might be a better alternative to a big, cumbersome belt sander if space is an issue.

Thanks again, Lisa

Steph Mader wrote:Hi Lisa,

When Doug Randall showed it in his coldworking workshop, he used it to grind & polish a large flat surface. That's difficult to manage on a wet belt sander, which is better for smaller surfaces like edges.

I do some cast panels, I'll be using mine on the backs of those panels. By the way, I called Granite City tools and they don't have the Italian one anymore, but do have a couple other water-feed grinders.

Steph
Lisa Allen
http://www.lisa-allen.com
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
Steph Mader

Amy, did you snag the last one???

Post by Steph Mader »

I called I think wednesday.

Steph :shock:
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

Amy Schleif-Mohr wrote:Huh? When did you call?
I called a week and a half ago and ordered it and it arrived a few days later.
Amy
The info I got from them was that they weren't going to carry the electric one anymore, just the one that attaches to a compressor. So I am holding off until I get a sandblasting system. Not gonna get a compressor until then, so will wait.

:?: Is your's the electric one Amy?
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Yep, I guess I got one of the last ones. Hmm.
Amy
Beth

Post by Beth »

I talked to Granite City Friday evening and they have them. The person I talked to said he was literally looking at a stack of about 20 as we were speaking. He said they had been back-ordered for a while, but had plenty now.

If you call again and are told they are out, feel free to ask for Kent Brown. Very nice man, baffled about why anyone was told there weren't carrying them. ("Them" is the Felasatti WG20 Variable Speed Angle Grinder.)

:?: for Amy or Doug

The only question was which pads. Kent said there were several types of resin diamond edge polishing discs, and that besides size, a part number or brand is needed.

Thanks,
Beth
Amy Schleif-Mohr

I have the 4" ones. I don't have a part number.
Sorry I can't help more.
A
Doug

Angle grinder pads

Post by Doug »

I purchased the complete set of diamond pads, I think 40 grit up to 3500 though I could be wrong about the grit sizes. I'll be at the shop tomorrow am and get the brand and grit sizes. I was amazed that by buying the complete set of 8 it was really inexpensive, like about 180- along with the backer pad. (For those that don't know, the backer pad is a rubber pad with a threaded fitting that threads right onto the grinder. On the surface of the rubber pad is some velcro like material in which you can stick the diamond grinding pads on to since they like wise have velcro on them.) wfd
Beth

Post by Beth »

Thanks Doug! Granite City is holding my grinder until I let them know which pads I want.

I was surprised to hear you don't have to use any abrasive medium with the angle grinder - just water.

We watched Steve Klein completely hand finish a piece of glass just using diamond pads and water, but he ended with a 600 grit pad and 500 grit aluminum oxide, or so Nikki remembers. Of course it took a long time and students worked on it too. The finish was so soft it was amazing.

I guess you don't need a finishing medium because you are using so much finer a pad and at faster speeds?

Also wondered if the grinder was heavy to hold for long periods, or any hints about use or typical amount of time at various levels. I assume you rough up the glass with the 50 pad (instead of blasting) and then bring it back to smoothness.

Thanks very much,
Beth
lohman

Post by lohman »

This grinder discussion is just in time. I've been considering buying one . So how large was this surface Doug Randall did in his workshop and how many man-hours did it take? I'm assuming this will put a high polish on the edge of a 20" diameter bowl or plate?
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Because it is a hand held grinder that sprays water all over the place, it is better suited to put a high polish on the face of a 20" diameter than on the edge. And that might take a couple of hours after a lot of practice.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Doug

Post by Doug »

We just used a small fused blank about 8" square and because of the time constraints of the class (1/2 day) everyone only had a few minutes to practice with it. It can do edges as well as surface with a little practice and could take a 20" surface to a sheen in an hour or three.
Candy Kahn

Post by Candy Kahn »

Hi,
What a timely discussion for me too. What is the cost of this grinder and does someone have a web address for the vendor?

Thanks,

candy
Candy Kahn
Art in Glass
Jane Lindell

Post by Jane Lindell »

Candy:

This topic started in a thread further down "Wet grinder question for Doug"

The link to the supplier is:

http://www.granitecitytoolvt.com/specialsales.html

The Felisatti is at the bottom of the page.

Good luck

Jane
Doug

Post by Doug »

When I first bought it less than 2 years ago it was $284- and I've seen it as recently as a few months ago at the same price. With the pad sets and backer pad plus shipping you could have a nice grinding and polishing setup for about $450-500.
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

Doug wrote:We just used a small fused blank about 8" square and because of the time constraints of the class (1/2 day) everyone only had a few minutes to practice with it. It can do edges as well as surface with a little practice and could take a 20" surface to a sheen in an hour or three.
:?: What are the grits of the disks/pads and that should be purchased with this tool? Any other accessories or add ons that would be necessary or useful?

Thanks
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

Candy Kahn wrote:Hi,
What a timely discussion for me too. What is the cost of this grinder and does someone have a web address for the vendor?

Thanks,

candy
His sell this sort of stuff and more

A very good site just 2 look n FAQ ( support ) is full of good stuff

http://www.hisglassworks.com/index.html
Amy Schleif-Mohr

I paid around $400 for the grinder, backer pad, and 4 or 5 discs.

The phone number is 1800-328-7094

Amy