Felisatti question

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Beth

Post by Beth »

Amy Schleif-Mohr wrote:Ooooo, it's on sale!
I think Granite City VT sold it for a little higher than Granite City MN does now.

Steph, sorry about the URL. It's http://www.granitecitytools.com in Minnesota and Kent is good to speak with.

I'd guess pads up to 800 would work if you're going to fire polish slightly or add a finisher like aluminium oxide. And that you'd want to go to a higher grit if you want to finish with just the grinder and water. But I could be wrong.

Beth
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

Beth wrote: :wink:

BTW, the grinder is $265 now.

Beth
I paid $284.00 today. Wonder how come? Could there possibly be a run on these grinders? :shock:

I ordered the backer at $18.40 and got a diamond disc set that ranges from 50 to 2000 for $126.10. I sure would like to be able to make these kinds of purchases in person, so I know what the heck I got myself into. :roll: If it does what I hope it will do for me. I'll have a belt sander for sale most likely. could use the space too.

I don't know if I ordered from VT or MN though, I just called the 1-800 number that was posted here. Is that MN? I'll at least get a bit of a break on the shipping. Actually I feel pretty confident this is a good tool for what I want to accomplish and I'm ready for that next learning curve too.
Jack Bowman

Angle grinder

Post by Jack Bowman »

I bought the electric Fillisatti about a month ago from the Granite city Vermont store. It was shipped from MN. I got a full set of pads at $18 each, 50-100-200-400-800-1500-3000 plus a felt pad and some cerium oxide. The 3000 pad puts a satin shine. I put a plastic real estate sign in the bathtub, hook the grinder up to the shower and vee-o-la.

This is not designed to replace a belt sander. Belt sander is for shaping edges, angle grinder is for surfaces. That is not to say you can't use it any way you want. Just more work. If I could only have one it would be a belt sander, unless I did only slabs, which is what I bought the angle grinder for. A random orbital water fed sander would be best from my experience, but I didn't know one was available till last week.

I asked last week but got no answer. Is it advisable to use pumice between 3000 grit and cerium oxide? If so I will get a seperate felt pad for the pumice.

Jack