High temperature molds and materials

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

winship

High temperature molds and materials

Post by winship »

Does anybody out there know anything about high temp. refractory molds.
When I say high temp I mean in the 1800 - 1900 F. range. I know this is well beyond the range of soft glass but I have another purpose in mind.
If anybody can help it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanx.

I would also be interested in any moldable material that could be used at the same temps.
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Post by Amy Schleif-Mohr »

Are you looking to use the mold many times?
How intricate are you looking to get?
Amy
Clifford Ross

Post by Clifford Ross »

Winship- make your own molds from clay. :idea:
Marty

Post by Marty »

graphite will work.
winship

Post by winship »

for the time being I just want to use simple bowl molds and drop rings'
I would at least like to get ten to fifteen cycles out of each mold.
What kind of clay?
Colin & Helen

Post by Colin & Helen »

Bisque fired Stoneware.....or Raku ..I have used some of my moulds several hundred times.. I have only had one mould fall apart......that one was made form Terracotta clay that been over bisqued........Colin
winship

Post by winship »

Thank you all for your responses, I look forward to trying some of your ideas. I will check back and let you all know how the project is going in the next couple of days. Once again thanx.
Brent.
watershed

Post by watershed »

You could always go for, castable refractories, Cast-o-lite X etc. But you start losing details.

Greg
lohman

Post by lohman »

I've used castolite. Plan on test firing before you fire a full kiln. I fired a load in which I had castolite molds, steel molds, ceramic molds and ceramic fiber molds and the glass on castolite over-fired. the other pieces were fine. My thinking is that the castolite retained the heat much longer than the other materials. Also the castolite molds were much thicker that the other molds. Good luck.