Aluminum Oxide grit

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Ross

Aluminum Oxide grit

Post by Ross »

Any suggestions as to where to order aluminum oxide in a grit such as 220?
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Bob

Post by Bob »

Hi Ross,

I get aluminum oxide grit at a local sandblasting supply store. Check the yellow pages for a supplier.

Cheers,

Bob
Steve Immerman

Post by Steve Immerman »

Try http://www.mcmaster.com/

I ordered some, and it arrived in about 24-48 hours. Shipping cost was very reasonable. They have many grit sizes

Steve
Randy W

Post by Randy W »

Try your local monument works. No one in town carried aluminum oxide. I checked on the internet an found decent prices but the shipping wasn't cheap. One day while running an errand I passed a monument works and it suddenly occured to me that they sand blast the names into the headstones. I stopped in and explained what I did and asked where they got their sand. They were very friendly and interested in my work. He showed me his walk in blasting booth and how he made the stencils. The wife designs them on the computer and he makes the stencils and blasts the stones. He got out his supply catalogs and made a couple of calls. He sold it to me at cost and because they got regular deliveries the shipping was free.
A few days later when I went to pick up the sand, I brought a few pieces of glass with. One with devit, one with baked on kiln wash and a finished piece. His wife fell in love with the finished piece and we worked out a trade, the plate for the sand. :D

Randy
Ross

Thanks

Post by Ross »

Thanks for all the help. I was about to order it online from your suggestions when I started calling around town and found a place that had some that someone ordered and never picked up.

Thanks again,
Ross
Paul Tarlow

Post by Paul Tarlow »