GAS musings

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Catharine Newell

GAS musings

Post by Catharine Newell »

No one on the board has mentioned anything about GAS this last weekend in Seattle, so I thought I might get the ball rolling...

I thought it was an extraordinary event and an excellent opportunity to put kilnformed work right smack in the middle of everything and everyone. Obviously, hot glass comprised a large percentage of work displayed, demos, conversations and tech booths but it by no means eclipsed other approaches to glass. Every lecture, every conversation, every showing presented an important aesthetic point of view that I thought quite appropriately informed work I would do. And the lecture series was quite diverse - really something for everyone...

Kilnformed work was a strong presence! Lots of wonderful work... at GAS and all around Seattle. There was amazing work from young Aussies in the Student Exhibition, who created the work I thought was most impressive.

Other giant perks: stellar artists roaming everywhere (approachable and exceedingly generous), as much glass as you could stomach seeing, and the best party Seattle has seen in a long, long while...

All in all, I wouldn't have missed it for the world! Next year, it will be in New Orleans and the year after - Australia. I know there's been a lot of discussion around not feeling supported as kilnformers by GAS, but if we don't plop ourselves in the middle of the action, nothing will ever change! And, as a matter of fact, I see the balance changing already.

It was not to be missed!
Catharine
Brock

Post by Brock »

I'm happy that you enjoyed it Catharine, but I'm far more interested in initiating a Warm Glass Association, than hanging on the coat tails of GAS. No hard feelings, they do a tremendous job, but it's an association for hot glass. We have other specific needs and criteria. Many of us have already volunteered to be on the WGA Board, and WGW will be the venue to discuss this possibility.

AND, I personally couldn't stand a conference of the size of GAS. GAAC throws good ones, 200 - 250 people. And even there, the buffet lines are killer.

Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Next year, at GAS in New Orleans, I'll be giving a kiln building workshop for fusers and slumpers. They did not accept a juried warm glass exhibition due to a catch 22. It may still be possible to organize that event, but it is difficult to do from far corners of the USA.

I essentially agree with Brock that a warm glass association would be a good thing. However, I also see that raising our visibility within GAS is good for business and the art world's acceptance or our work.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

I plan to be at GAS New Orlean's style. Thanks for sharing about how well things went and how valuable you found the conference Catharine. Helped me to firm up my decision to save up and go in 2004. I am really looking forward to next year in New Orleans.

I recently joined GAS (Glass Art Society) and the newsletter alone is a phenomenal resource. Check out the educational opportunities at top notch facilities with top notch educators and the calls for entries. Brad contributed a great article to the newsletter about Kiln formed glass and where it could go in the market place with publications rather than pattern books (over simplified description, but...).

GAS is an organization that I believe can support my needs, and since I don't have to take one over the other, a glass kiln forming association would be terrific for addressing my specific needs and wants too. 'Til then, It's good that GAS is so well established, professional and available to us as well as providing exposure to/for all kinds of glass working. If you aren't a member, you might want to consider it. It's affordable and I already feel I've gotten my bang for the buck.

http://www.glassart.org
PDXBarbara

Post by PDXBarbara »

Bert Weiss wrote: They did not accept a juried warm glass exhibition due to a catch 22. .
Hi Bert... so, tell us about the Catch 22?\best, Barbara
Barbara Bader
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

PDXBarbara (Bader) wrote:
Bert Weiss wrote: They did not accept a juried warm glass exhibition due to a catch 22. .
Hi Bert... so, tell us about the Catch 22?\best, Barbara
Barbara

I was working with a contact person in New Orleans to find an appropriate gallery. I called several of the usual suspects, but finding a gallery that is large enough and near to the center of the conference was proving difficult. My contact told me not to worry, she would find us a space. At that point, I stopped looking.

When the proposal came up for review, the fact that the exhibition space was not tied down was the reason they passed on it. I was told that there were many more rejected proposals than accepted ones.

The possibility still remains to organize this exhibition in New Orleans during GAS. I have been trying to feel out whether of not this would offend the GAS board, but they have been preoccupied up till now.

The bizarre situation is that I talked to one gallery owner who would be happy to house our exhibition. He has a huge gallery in a questionable neighborhood. They specialize in "farout" art exhibits including voodoo art. They were however recommended to me by the director of I forget the name of the local contemporary art museum.

If people are interested in this exhibition, I will continue to pursue it. The idea is an invitational/juried exhibition of warm glass organized around the theme of Dining: elegance, decadence, and Lagniappe (something more).

The invitational part is a vignette that 4 of us have been working on since this idea started to develop. Gale Bez, Amy Schleif Mohr, Geri Comstock, and myself. We plan to be the jury for the exhibition. This whole idea kind of developed when I posted something about the idea back in January. Gale, Amy, and Geri, each contacted me about it and we began to conceive of our idea.

At this point, if people are excited about the idea, now is the time to tie down plans. What do people think??
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

ProviDe the call for entries, the prospectus, and I am more than interested. Sounds like a grand and fun concept.
Patty Gray

Post by Patty Gray »

Catharine is right on with the conference. The presentations offered information not only to the glass blower but to all glass artists in general. Many well known glass artists (glass blowing, casting, fusing, lamp working, etc.) were present and it was great to converse with so many of them. A couple of well known glass fusers/casters just to mention some that I saw and talked to personally: Roger Thomas, Linda Eithier, Rick LaLonde, Roger Nachman, Catharine Newell, Michael Dupille, Carmen D'Aquila, Steve Klein, Jonathan Schmuck, Kathleen Sheard, Gil Reynolds, Delores Taylor, Barbara Bader, Jack Dopler, Jane Persico, and so many many more that I feel bad not mentioning their names.

The high tech glass blowing studio called the "Hot Glass Roadshow" that Corning Museum of Glass had set up for anyone wanting to see demos was awesome. To see artists like Paul Maroni doing a live demo was wonderful.

Seattle offered a lot of entertainment on and off the Seattle Center grounds. Even our newly formed "Seattle Kiln-Formed Glass Society" did our part in getting kiln-formed/warm glass better recognized. Our local group did live demos which included roll-up, mold making and casting, pate-de-verre processes, wax models for casting, silk screening, combing, hot work with a glory hole for fusing, vitrograph. So we had lots of entertainment and we had lots of visitors from all over the world viewing our demos. It was a great way to help educate the attendees of GAS about warm/kiln-formed glass. We also had several exhibits that was primarily warm/kiln-formed glass.

GAS is an important part of the glass community and they are more aware of warm/kiln-formed glass now than ever. Not once did I feel like I didn't belong to the group of glass artists that were in attendance at GAS. We were there to mingle/converse/enjoy everyone. I don't recall anyone ever at the conference putting warm/kiln-formed glass down, it was great.

The tech booths were great, lots of wonderful equipment and supplies. Lots and lots of tools.....yes wonderful tools.

It was a wonderful experience and we are looking forward to the next conference in New Orleans and hope to save enough for the following year in Australia.

Also really looking forward to the WGW in the DC area in September. It looks like Brad has lots for all of us.

This conference was a great experience.

Patty Gray
time4sun@worldnet.att.net
http://www.pattygray.com
Patricia O'Neill

Post by Patricia O'Neill »

Thank you for your feedback. It sounds like all of you had a great time.

Was there any representation from european countries? and how was it?
Patricia
Delores Taylor

Post by Delores Taylor »

I think GAS was wonderful and would highly recommend it to anyone. Brad being such a strong presence for kiln formed art is an important venue also. We do not need less we need MORE if change is to truely take place.

These type of venues are so very powerful, they provide a place for artists to see the latest in glass art and hear the latest in developments of glass technology.

I'm of the opinion more knowledge is good. Many thanks to GAAC, GAS and Brad for the tremendous work that goes into educating the public. These efforts make a huge difference.

While I didn't get to go to GAAC this year I know they too provide a strong focus on glass education.

To quote the big guy "Let there be light" and many wonderful institutions were formed to spread the word.

There is much more power in unity then in fighting factions. Kilnformers are a force not to be ignored and GAS' recent article on Brad Walker shows they know there is a serious presence needed for kilnformers.

Bert......... Don't give up on New Orleans as all organizations need the vision of many to stay in touch with the changing needs. The lamp workers had non stop displays, demos and the illuminated light exhibit was more neon and cast work at GAS so it wasn't just hot glass there is a place for everyone.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Delores wrote:
Bert......... Don't give up on New Orleans as all organizations need the vision of many to stay in touch with the changing needs. The lamp workers had non stop displays, demos and the illuminated light exhibit was more neon and cast work at GAS so it wasn't just hot glass there is a place for everyone.
Delores

Were there any or many events that were not officially sanctioned by GAS but happenning in parallel?
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
S. Klein

Post by S. Klein »

GAS was wonderful. It's always energizing and inspiring being around artists of any medium. Frankly, I thought that warm glass was very well represented in all areas except demos. The galleries in particular were full of beautiful and thought provoking art using warm techniques. Traver had a show of Mark Zirpels work that was mesmerizing. Friesen Gallery had a show titled "Is that clear" which had many warm pieces. The NW Craft Center (right in Seattle Center) showed work by Catherine Newell, Jeanne Ferraro and Linda Ethier amonst others, and COCA had a show of Pilchuck Hauberg fellows that was mainly warm assembled and painted glass. Also,I agree with Catherine, that the best work in the student show was warm glass, and those were the pieces that won awards.

I don't feel a need to break away from GAS. While I don't blow glass, I also don't see GAS as a glass blowers association. I see it as an association of artists that are using glass in their work. I see more and more glass blowers looking at using warm glass in their work. I definitely see the value of conferences that target techniques. As I stated earlier, GAS did not have very much in the way of demos for those interested in warm techniques. Personally, I'm not sure how many people would come and watch cutting or composing, or mold making. The fact is, glass blowing is a more physical and visually exciting process. Many of the demos that we would present (working in the kiln) are not practical for large numbers of people. I think that maybe we should be lobbying to have the opportunity to present slides showing techniques and to be on some panels. Most of all, we need to continue making good work. In the end it is the work that is recognized, not the process.............steve
Steve Klein Studio
1650 N. Glassell, Studio U
Orange, CA 92867
Catharine Newell

Post by Catharine Newell »

Bert Weiss wrote:
Delores wrote:
Delores

Were there any or many events that were not officially sanctioned by GAS but happenning in parallel?
Everywhere you looked, Bert! From open studios to demos to special showings... all over Seattle and out to surrounding areas. GAS was terrific about broadcasting information about these events and my understanding is that they were well attended.

Catharine