texturing stained glass

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Liam

texturing stained glass

Post by Liam »

I need to texture stained glass to a granite texture for a restoration/repair job. I was thinking of slumping over a mold made of paste whiting or plaster of paris? Any thoughts on this?

Liam
Dani

Post by Dani »

I randomly sprinkle whiting on a kiln shelf using a flour sifter so I get sort of a granite texture on the bottoms of bowls. I suppose it would work.... if our perceptions of "granite texture" are remotely similar! :wink:
charlie

Re: texturing stained glass

Post by charlie »

Liam wrote:I need to texture stained glass to a granite texture for a restoration/repair job. I was thinking of slumping over a mold made of paste whiting or plaster of paris? Any thoughts on this?

Liam
if it's a repair job on something with granite texture, are you aware you can buy granite textured stained glass?
joan goodyear

Texture to glass

Post by joan goodyear »

I have been working on this also and here is what I have done. I have pressed the correct texture into the 1" bed of tighly pressed powder. THen I have fired it to 1350 and held it there for 5 minutes. It came out okay, but I wish it were better. I think I will hold it longer next time. I asked this question on the fusing site also. Did you?
Joan
Barbara Cashman

Re: texturing stained glass

Post by Barbara Cashman »

if it's a repair job on something with granite texture, are you aware you can buy granite textured stained glass?[/quote]

A match should be quite easy, even with old glass. Most of those glasses were Kokomo, and they've been around for over 100 years. Is this pattern so unique? or are you possibly making it more difficult than necessary?
joan goodyear

Yes funny isn't it.

Post by joan goodyear »

You would think every glass is out there now until you are actually looking for those old english tiny hammered delicate pale colors, or an orange to pink from Germany with just the right wavy in it on the side.

Thanks , I But actually am asking about what I want to know.

[quote][/quote]
Joan
joan goodyear

Texture to glass

Post by joan goodyear »

I got a reply from someone on the other forum index on this and they sugguested soaking longer at the 1400 temperature. So I think I will give that a try tomorrow.
Joan