wok update

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Dick Ditore

wok update

Post by Dick Ditore »

Well, the rust marks will not come off the glass. I redid the wok, and tried a single piece of clear. No marks. Then someone said that maybe the irid down caused the rust to attach.

Question now. If I sandblast the rust off, and want to fire polish, can I place it in the wok, and take it to 1250? I know with it being the back, it won't be shiny, but will it return to clear, (not frosted) while it is contact with the mold? Never tried this, and too good a piece to guess.

thanks for the help

Dick
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Hi Dick,

You'll end up with a matte finish... not a powdery frost like a freshly blasted piece.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Dick Ditore

wok update

Post by Dick Ditore »

Thanks Tony. I think if I understand you, the frosted look disappears, but it is a matte finish. What I want is for the clear to be clear, or transparent. Matte finish is fine. Is that correct?

Dick
Lisa Allen

Post by Lisa Allen »

Dick, here is a transparent piece that has been sandblasted and taken to 1170 in the slump. May give you an idea of what your will look like.

Lisa Allen
http://www.lisa-allen.com
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
Jim Robins

Post by Jim Robins »

Hi Dick,
Let me know if you have rust problems when you slump the sandblasted piece in the wok. I carved the bottom of a piece and slumped it in a wok. Rust stuck to the sand blasted area only. I am going to try a couple of chemicals before I blast the areas because I am not sure that sandblasting and putting it back in the wok will not make the problem worse.

Jim
Dick Ditore

Post by Dick Ditore »

I sandblasted the rust off the glass. I sanded the wok, heated and recoated. Put the bowl back in, and slumped to 1250 to fire polish. No rust, and a nice satin finish. The only problem is that the clear is not totally clear, and the aventurine is a little matte. Actually for this piece it works nicely, but in the future, if I need to fire polish the side towards the mold, I will do it first, then slump.

Dick

Ps I will post a picture soon.