Going Warm - What about Old Stock?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Keith

Going Warm - What about Old Stock?

Post by Keith »

I am about to go with a warm studio from a cold one (though still in Vermont), and I was wondering if I can use my current stock I use for glass fusing. I have a lot of Spectrum Glass. I figure I will have to do compatiblity tests. Any thoughts. :?:
Bert Weiss

Re: Going Warm - What about Old Stock?

Post by Bert Weiss »

Keith wrote:I am about to go with a warm studio from a cold one (though still in Vermont), and I was wondering if I can use my current stock I use for glass fusing. I have a lot of Spectrum Glass. I figure I will have to do compatiblity tests. Any thoughts. :?:
Keith

Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. testing is the key. If your time and glass is valuable, it may not be worth it, considering that you can buy reliable tested glasses. On the other hand, you will learn about the pitfalls using untested glasses.

Learn to search the archives for key words like "Spectrum" or "compatibility" or "untested glass" etc. There is an amazing amount of info that is in there if you can figure out how to use it.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

Also keep in mind the "96" Spectrum glass is formulated to resist devit and the old stock you have is not.
"The Glassman"
lohman

Post by lohman »

If you have a large supply of Spectrum, you might deal with devitrification prooblems with borax or other devit sprays. Devit has been discussed many times. Search archives. Also remember any given glass will be compatible with itself if it is cut from the same sheet. There are glass enamels, ceramic overglazes, and other techniques such as sandblasting that will add variety to your glass.
tom suter

spectrum comp.

Post by tom suter »

I have fused Spectrum baroque blues teal & amythest with clear but devit is a big problem. Tom I have used a lot of spectrum stained glass for simple draping or slumping such as vases where I keep the heat low. Tom
Jerry

Old Stock

Post by Jerry »

And, of course, I have an opinion on all this.

Some time back Spectrum put in their catalogs that ALL their glass was compatable with all their glass. Now, that doesn't always work out, but it works more times than it doesn't.

Devit isn't a problem with any Spectrum. Fuse it up the way you usually do and when you slump it spray on a coat of devit spray. Works so slick you won't believe it.

Other glass may be more unpredictable. Some strikes (changes colors) and some turns muddy. Bert gave you the right advise; Test, Test, Test.

Keep us informed.

Jerry
GaryS

Post by GaryS »

I started warm glass about 1 month ago. I started with a S96 glass pack
and noticed that one of the pieces had a spectrum waterglass sticker under the S96 sticker. This got me thinking about the rest of my regular
spectrum glass, so I tested all my spectrum glass against spectrum 96
clear.About 85% was compatable, some devits, some don't.
If I'm capping with 96 or plan on using a spray I'll save my money and keep on testing it myself. I've already saved 10 times what the polarizing
film cost me.

Gary
Joanne Owsley

Re: Old Stock

Post by Joanne Owsley »

Jerry wrote:And, of course, I have an opinion on all this.

Some time back Spectrum put in their catalogs that ALL their glass was compatable with all their glass. Now, that doesn't always work out, but it works more times than it doesn't.

Devit isn't a problem with any Spectrum. Fuse it up the way you usually do and when you slump it spray on a coat of devit spray. Works so slick you won't believe it.

Other glass may be more unpredictable. Some strikes (changes colors) and some turns muddy. Bert gave you the right advise; Test, Test, Test.

Keep us informed.

Jerry
AMEN!! I've tested a lot of Spectrum "non-fusible" glass with the fusible and gotten the same result. A lot of it is compatible with the "fusible." The biggest problem that I've encountered is unpredictible striking. I've heard from a pretty reliable source that Spectrum glass has always been "close to 96." Hmmm, maybe that's why they chose the 96 COE in the first place :?: :?: :?:
Lynne Chappell

Post by Lynne Chappell »

I think you'll find most of Spectrum's transparents will test out, but the devit is a problem. When Spectrum was first getting into the fusing game, they put out their fusing clear, which stays nice and shiny. Without all the System 96 colors, we were using the stained glass colors and capping with the fusing clear. It's a good solution to the devit issue as long as you can design with clear as the top.

I do think that Spectrum isn't being as particular about the COE of their regular line as they were before the System 96. I've had particular trouble with some of the clear textures. They have to keep most of the line in the same range though as they mix colors for the streakies and opalescents. If they were too far off I'm sure the sheets would be unstable.

As far as having waterglass relabeled as System 96, I've never seen any System 96 glass that wasn't smooth (except for the Uroboros textures). I have seen dichroic coated waterglass with a 96 COE label on it. The System 96 glass really is a different formula than their regular stained glass with the possible exception of the seleniums.