Kiln on ebay

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

adaisy777

Kiln on ebay

Post by adaisy777 »

Hello everyone! I was cruising ebay and noticed two Cress kilns up for auction. I searched the archives but didn't see much about this brand. Can anyone give me any info about them? Should I bid on one of these? I have a jen ken already, but am looking for a cheap back up. Should I keep looking?

Here are the links to the auctions. The seller said that these are model k and model p kilns. I couldn't find either of these two models on the cress website.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 28124&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 28124&rd=1

Thanks!
Amie
~Amina Glass~
Amie
Brock

Post by Brock »

The prices, (if they go that cheaply) seem pretty good, but they're a long way from you. Freight'll kill ya. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

The reason you didn't see much about Cress Kilns in the archives is that they're ceramic kilns, not glass kilns. The kilns on Ebay might be adequate for glass, but you'll probably need to spend some money on a pyrometer or controller. You might also need to get some elements or do other repairs -- many of these used ceramic kilns have been used heavily in schools or production environments and aren't in the best of shape -- it's hard to tell the condition from the photos and I'm always leary of a comment like "believed to be in working condition". That tells you it was probably picked up at an auction or similar and the seller has no experience with the kiln.

I'd also echo Brock's comment about freight -- it's not that cheap to ship these heavy ceramic kilns. They're not UPS-able and would need to go motor freight.
adaisy777

Post by adaisy777 »

Thank you guys! I passed on the kiln. I had the same thoughts about the believe to be in working condition line...... so my search continues. Thanks again.
~Amina Glass~
Amie
The Hobbyist

Don't give up on eBay

Post by The Hobbyist »

Don't give up your quest for an inexpensive kiln on eBay. Do heed Brad's, Brock's and other's advice about condition.

I have three kilns, all ceramic and they work great. Two of them were purchased on eBay at considerable savings.

Remember that fusing got it's start with artists like Brad, Gil and others using ceramic kilns long before the manufacturers thought of marketing "glass" kilns.

G'pa Jim