Kiln Control Comparison ? Help

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

DreamRyder

Kiln Control Comparison ? Help

Post by DreamRyder »

Hello... I'm looking for some user advice on a couple kiln controls... in the latest Glass Craftsman's issue I saw two that appeared to be very similar on small starter kilns and I'm not sure if I understand their capabilities correctly...

One was the Skutt GlassMaster LT on their Hotstart - it appears I can't enter my own firing schedule, am I restricted to their pre-programmed firing data with limited capabilities...?

the other one was the Evenheat Set-Pro on their Hot Shot - it appeared to have unlimited capabilites for program entry...

I do more than just fusing and slumping...

Skutts kiln has System 96 on it's name plate - does this mean it's pre-programs are only good for Spectrums Glass..? I use some Uroboros and Bullseye..

Any help is much appreciated :D
David Williams

Re: Kiln Control Comparison ? Help

Post by David Williams »

Skutts kiln has System 96 on it's name plate - does this mean it's pre-programs are only good for Spectrums Glass..? I use some Uroboros and Bullseye..

Any help is much appreciated :D[/quote]

There's a member of our guild that wants to start fusing wants to work at 96. So she bought that kiln and came and told me that she bought a kiln that "was made for system 96". Give me a break. Sometimes I emphathize with Lani and Bullseye. But, its good marketing I suppose.
charlie

Post by charlie »

the skut controller can be configured with custom programs. furthermore, you can overwrite the installed programs. how to do so is in the manual.

as to s96 labels: i don't have one, but the skutt that i have has builtin programs that aren't usable for bullseye (annealing temp is too high), so i never use them. it has 6 slots with 8 steps each available for custom programs that are saved in a prom so that when the power goes off (unplugging), they'll still be there on powerup.
Amy on Salt Spring

Post by Amy on Salt Spring »

I have a Skutt KilnMaster controller which I believe is not that different from their new GlassMaster. They both have presets that you can use but I think that's a terrible idea since everyone's kiln is different and every project is different as well. However you also have the option of programming in whatever ramp program you want. My KilnMaster was expensive but has been fantastic--can't vouch for the GlassMaster of course, having never used one, but they do look similar. Check this out for more info. on the GlassMaster.
http://www.stainedglasswarehouse.com/sg ... stemc.html
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Kiln Control Comparison ? Help

Post by Brad Walker »

DreamRyder wrote:Hello... I'm looking for some user advice on a couple kiln controls... in the latest Glass Craftsman's issue I saw two that appeared to be very similar on small starter kilns and I'm not sure if I understand their capabilities correctly...

One was the Skutt GlassMaster LT on their Hotstart - it appears I can't enter my own firing schedule, am I restricted to their pre-programmed firing data with limited capabilities...?

According to Skutt's literature, you can over-ride the pre-programmed schedules on the Skutt Hotstart. The schedules (there are nine) follow System 96 guidelines, but they can apparently be adjusted for other types of glass. http://www.system96.com/FuseLibrary/Hot ... Manual.pdf
Lynne Chappell

Post by Lynne Chappell »

I may be missing something, but the way I read the Hotstart manual, you can only change the "process" temperature and hold time. There are 4 ramps and the rate of firing is preset (choice of slow, medium or fast), and the annealing segments are preset. I don't see anything in the manual that allows you to change these settings. So basically, in ramp 2, you can change the top temperature reached and the hold time. That is it. It is not the same as the Glass Master controller, which has all the features you would expect from a full feature controller.

I'd love to hear from someone with the HotStart that has fired other kilns to see what they thought of it.

As far as being only good for System 96, I really don't think there is that big a difference in firing schedules for System 96 and Bullseye - it should work for both. You might go a little hotter for Bullseye, but the annealing range is so similar it should be fine for the size of the projects you can fit in the Hot Start. Firing float could be a bit more of a problem, but if the pieces are small, you'll probably get away with it.
DreamRyder

Post by DreamRyder »

I appreciate the responces from everyone.. it has been very helpful...

I think I'm leaning towards the Evenheats Set-Pro Controller ...

After reading your replies and reading some product reviews in a couple magazines on it ~ it seems to be more versatile with it's programming capabilities and allows me to do more than what the Skutt GlassMaster LT controller does. I don't want to spend that kind of money on a kiln that I will not be able to use for more complex projects (granted I get better at this :-k )

8) D.R.
AndyMiller

Post by AndyMiller »

The controller we use in our kilns and DTC-2 is also worth considering:
  • * It can hold up to 4 profiles, each with up to 16 ramp or soak steps.
    * Has a guaranteed soak feature that stops the progress of the soak clock while the temperature is too far from the set point.
    * Has a computer interface so you can edit profiles using your computer, stop/start and hold running profiles, and track/record the progress of complex firings.
The algorithms used by this controller to control temperature are very accurate. We typically see ramp up and soak temperatures within 3 degrees of the set point.
DreamRyder

Post by DreamRyder »

Thought I would post up my findings since I got my Hot Shot from Evenheat :lol: I received my kiln 1 week after placing my order and was anxious to get started and ran my kiln that weekend.. VERY SUCCESSFULLY I might ad 8) The Set-Pro was so simple to use! Yet it gives you so much control over your firings incase your desired results were achieved before your projected set point temperature and even if you desire more firing time you can change the program while it's running :wink: I have done many projects in the last 4 weeks and can't imagine doing them without computer control.. I'm glad I decided to spend the extra money and NOT go with a manual control and I'm glad I went with the Set-Pro.... I know now that the Set-Pro can do all methods of glass firings and all brands where the Skutt GlassMaster LT would be very limitting :( With the suggested firing schedules you get from the glass manufactures and the glass distributors it's not that hard to follow the programs and enter them... that would warrant limitting yourself to those preprogrammed ones of Skutt :cry: Once you save them they are there anyways for the next time you want to use them... so only difference is you get to make your own custom program that works for you...

Thanks Everyone... :D
charlie

Post by charlie »

DreamRyder wrote:Thought I would post up my findings since I got my Hot Shot from Evenheat :lol: I received my kiln 1 week after placing my order and was anxious to get started and ran my kiln that weekend.. VERY SUCCESSFULLY I might ad 8) The Set-Pro was so simple to use! Yet it gives you so much control over your firings incase your desired results were achieved before your projected set point temperature and even if you desire more firing time you can change the program while it's running :wink: I have done many projects in the last 4 weeks and can't imagine doing them without computer control.. I'm glad I decided to spend the extra money and NOT go with a manual control and I'm glad I went with the Set-Pro.... I know now that the Set-Pro can do all methods of glass firings and all brands where the Skutt GlassMaster LT would be very limitting :( With the suggested firing schedules you get from the glass manufactures and the glass distributors it's not that hard to follow the programs and enter them... that would warrant limitting yourself to those preprogrammed ones of Skutt :cry: Once you save them they are there anyways for the next time you want to use them... so only difference is you get to make your own custom program that works for you...

Thanks Everyone... :D
the skutt controller can store 6 custom schedules, along with the capability to change the 6 that are builtin.
DreamRyder

Post by DreamRyder »

charlie wrote:
the skutt controller can store 6 custom schedules, along with the capability to change the 6 that are builtin.
yes the regular skutt controller but not the one on their Hot Start kiln I was comparing ....