rebuilding kiln...question

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Avery Anderson

rebuilding kiln...question

Post by Avery Anderson »

I'm in the process of rebuilding one of my kilns and would appreciate advice on what type of high temp mortar to use and where to purchase it. Thanks, Avery
Dani

Post by Dani »

And when will you be offering the class, "Kiln-Rebuilding for Women"? LOL. I'm sure there are a few ladies in the group who would be interested in that one, including moi!

Good luck,

Dani
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Post by Amy Schleif-Mohr »

I just did this the other day and I didn't need any mortar. I have different kilns than yours so not sure.

The bricks in the lid and floor are mortared together but not the walls. The walls are held together with a steel strap to make rings.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Amy
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Avery

High temperature refractory cement should be available from any refractory supplier, but if you can't find it, McMaster-Carr carries it. Go to http://www.mcmaster.com and put 9368K4 in the window and click on "find". Look at the catalog page and you'll see "firebrick bonding mortar" and "high temperature refractory cement".

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Ron Coleman

Re: rebuilding kiln...question

Post by Ron Coleman »

Avery Anderson wrote:I'm in the process of rebuilding one of my kilns and would appreciate advice on what type of high temp mortar to use and where to purchase it. Thanks, Avery
I've had good luck with Sairset mortar. It comes already mixed.

Here's some info on it.

http://www.clayartcenter.com/kilnaccess_refractory1.htm

Sairbond is another one , a dry product.

Seattle Pottery sells it too, but you might find it at a local pottery supply.

http://www.seattlepotterysupply.com/

Ron
Avery Anderson

Post by Avery Anderson »

Thanks Tony and Ron, I'll check the links.

Avery
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Re: rebuilding kiln...question

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

Avery Anderson wrote:I'm in the process of rebuilding one of my kilns and would appreciate advice on what type of high temp mortar to use and where to purchase it. Thanks, Avery
This cement stuff does not have a long shelf life
Lynn Bishop

Post by Lynn Bishop »

Avery,
AIM kilns is located in Corvallis, Oregon, which is just a hop and a skip for you. They can answer all your questions, and have the cements you might need. You can call, visit their website, or visit in person. Lynn