Pitting and steel mold

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Sharon Lee

Pitting and steel mold

Post by Sharon Lee »

I just slumped my first project. I used Spectrum 96 transparent blue and some clear. I fused 2 layers first and then slumped into an old miners pan which I first sandblasted and drilled holes into and then heated and sprayed kiln wash onto. I fused to 1225 F for 5 minutes. All around the edges and down about 2 inches( on the slope of the pan) there are numerous pits on the underside. There are no pits on the base (bottom). I am trying to sandblast them away but have not been successful yet. Does anyone know why it pitted so badly? Is it from the kiln wash on the pan? And should I keep trying to blast the pits smooth and then fire polish? What temp would I fire polish Spectrum?
Thanks,
Sharon
Marty

Post by Marty »

You need stainless steel- eventually mild steel will pit, spall, and generally mess up your work.

I've found cast iron useful but not as good as stainless.

Dirt works too (stoneware, porcelain, etc.)

Lots and lots in the archives.

Marty
Sharon Lee

Post by Sharon Lee »

Hi Marty,
I did search the archive using pitting as a search term. Found post about pitting with ird and kiln shelves, but nothing regarding steel molds. I assume you are telling me it's my mold that caused the pitting.
Sharon
Jeri D

woks/marty

Post by Jeri D »

what are the generic woks made out of. I had a piece pit after using the wok a few times and a piece of scale actually came off(thankfully it kind of looks like martha's vineyard, so I am keeping it :lol: )
Generally how many times can you fire in one before you have to kiln wash it( and no, i haven't gotten a badger yet!)
Island girl
Marty

Post by Marty »

Jeri- the usual woks are mild steel. Look for stainless ones.

Sharon- search for molds or stainless steel (or email me).