RCN Kilns revisited

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Barbara Cashman

RCN Kilns revisited

Post by Barbara Cashman »

I just got an up-close and personal look at the RCN sink kilns that were discussed recently. they are sumthin'. Had to have a translator, since they are made in Italy, but what fun. What you didn't know is that you also need an annealing kiln. However, you can put several sinks in it at a time and only run the annealing once. This means the sinks are slumped (15 hours) and within a couple of days you can anneal. This was interesting news for those of us who tend to do our annealing on the down side of the slump or fuse while the glass is still warm. They just set them aside after slumping and anneal later. Then, of course, you have the core drill equipment for the sink hole. So, there is really not one but 3 pieces of equipment to purchase when making production sinks. If you're into real production, it was certainly the way to go, but all the sinks had to start out as a square or rectangle to position on the drop mechanism. If you want a simple round sink, there would be more cold-working involved. More equipment......hmmmmm...I think I'll stick with what I have for right now. - Barbara
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

yes, and astonishing prices for those units, as well, plus duty, customs fees and insurance. kitty.