Intro to Polishing Needed

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

abes

Intro to Polishing Needed

Post by abes »

Hey all -- I just found your great forum and I spent a little time looking through the archives, but everyone seems to know a lot more than me about this polishing business :wink:

I'm looking to do two things:

First is to polish some fused beads I've made. I'd especially like to be able to bevel and facet them. Firepolishing works okay, but I'm still not getting the brightness and clarity that I'd like, and it certainly doesn't allow for those sharp angels.

My second goal is to take old, damaged glass trade beads and grind them down into new and different shapes and then apply a high polish. I've seen others do this and the results are really incredible.

But ... um ... I'm entirely clueless as to how to do this. I do have several Glastar grinders which are great for the rough shapping, of the beads, but I don't think they are going to work for the actual polishing (or will they?). I think I understand the basic principle -- which is just making smaller and smaller scratches in the glass till they are no longer visible -- but that only gets me so far.

I'd like to start out with the basics -- I figure I can experiment from there, but I need to know where to start. Thanks!

Abe
charlie

Post by charlie »

what you're asking is akin to beveling. basically you use grit wheels to make a lot of scratches in the glass. you then go to finer and finer grits to make smaller and smaller scratches. then you use cork to get most of the final scratches. finally you use felt wheels using rouge and cerium, which are extremely fine grit powders.

there's other ways, but this is how they do beveled glass pieces.
Phil Hoppes

Post by Phil Hoppes »

Check out the grinders at Kingsley-North

http://www.kingsleynorth.com/grindingunits.html

This is the type of unit you are looking for. They have multiple grit wheels right up to a polish so you start on one side of the machine and work your way to the polish end. These are a little expensive but you may be able to find a used one where you live.

Phil
jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

Phil Hoppes wrote:Check out the grinders at Kingsley-North

http://www.kingsleynorth.com/grindingunits.html

This is the type of unit you are looking for. They have multiple grit wheels right up to a polish so you start on one side of the machine and work your way to the polish end. These are a little expensive but you may be able to find a used one where you live.

Phil
you might also check out the local lapidary (rock) shops. A lot of times they will have used cabashon units, or know of someone that has. Also, check the classified for sale adds in the paper under "hobies"

Jim
abes

Post by abes »

Thanks all for your help! I was hoping that I might be able to use the glastar grinders, but it doesn't sound like it. I'll look around and see if I can pick up a polishing unit somewhere.
lyndasglass

Post by lyndasglass »

abes,
Glastar and Diamond Tech Int'l both make beveling equipment. They aren't really heavy duty enough for polishing large fused items but for beads they probably would work. You might check with your local stained glass supplier.

Lynda
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Glastar makes some pretty heavy duty grinders. Their 12" diamond lap is a serious tool to put on your Christmas list...

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun