very, very basic

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Luiza

very, very basic

Post by Luiza »

I have to confess I can´t discover exactly what is "enamel". It is like paints?
I read that Ferro Sunshine enamels are compatible with float, but couldn´t find any site that sells it on line.
Is it similar to powder glass?
I´ve beeig using porcelain paints on my pieces, but I´d love to try something better.
Thanks
Luiza
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: very, very basic

Post by Brad Walker »

Luiza wrote:I have to confess I can´t discover exactly what is "enamel". It is like paints?
I read that Ferro Sunshine enamels are compatible with float, but couldn´t find any site that sells it on line.
Is it similar to powder glass?
I´ve beeig using porcelain paints on my pieces, but I´d love to try something better.
As warm glass artists use the term, "enamel" is glass powder that has been ground even finer. It usually has additives (usually a flux) to help it flow better.

The main manufacturers/retailers of enamels that people tend to use for fusing are Thompson (http://www.thompsonenamel.com), FuseMaster (sold by several people, including board sponsor Fusion Headquarters, see top of page), Paradise Paints (http://www.paradise-co.com/paints/index.html), and Ferro (no website, but check old archives of board for contact information, the Sunshine line is the one most often recommended). Of these, only Paradise Paints come already mixed and liquid, the remainder usually need to be mixed when they're used.
Luiza

Post by Luiza »

Thanks Brad
All enamels are compatible with float glass?
Luiza
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Absolutely not. Some enamels are compatible with float glass, some are compatible with other types of glass. You need to ask the manufacturer.

In some cases, such as Thompson Enamel, they make versions for float glass, versions for Bullseye/Spectrum, and versions for Moretti/Effetre. They're each made to a specific COE.
Luiza

Post by Luiza »

Thanks Brad.
I have to read your book again :oops:
Luiza