Another high fire question

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Jon Wunderlich

Another high fire question

Post by Jon Wunderlich »

I have a square bisqueware plate 8" by about 1/2" deep. Can I use this as a dam for high fire, and should I drill holes as if I'm using it to slump? I don't have a sand blaster, so would it be better to use kiln wash or fiber paper, or does that matter? If I use paper, can thin fire handle the high temps or should I use 1/8 paper? I've stopped using thin fire for my shelf but I still have about ten sheets left. It would be good to be able to use the stuff for something.

Thanks,

Jon
Rob Morey

Post by Rob Morey »

I would say no to everything. I would worry that the bisqueware would have a different expansion rate at high fire temps. Since the glass is basically sitting on the stuff it doesn't have a lot of choice. Also, the plate probably has a slight slope to the middle. If it does, then that area will be thicker than the outer edges making cooling a big issue. But hey! Do it anyway and then you will know for sure. Throw a bunch of scrap in there and fire 'er up! With fiber paper or with out I would kiln wash well. Use the thin fire for testing ideas on a small scale until you use it up.

Rob
Jon Wunderlich

Post by Jon Wunderlich »

Thanks Rob,

Actually, I just looked at the mold and it has a slight crown in the middle so the sides would be thicker. I hadn't even thought of that. I think I'll just try the paper dam.

Jon
PDXBarbara

Post by PDXBarbara »

Avoid the thinfire. It's too lightweight, & the glass'll push it & shred it.
Let us know how it goes with the mold.
Barbara
Barbara Bader