New Manufacturer of Dichro?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

GlassOrchid

New Manufacturer of Dichro?

Post by GlassOrchid »

About two weeks ago someone called me and asked if they could send me some samples of dichroic glass; they are a new manufacturer. I haven't gotten it yet but thought I'd ask if anyone else has heard of this? Unfortunately, I didn't get any contact info for them.... figured it would come with the samples. The guys name was Howard something that started with an S I think but not Sandberg <smile>....

Any one else hear about this new company?

Nancy
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

howard sandberg
coatings by sandberg
it's the glass i use. excellent colors. very nice people, too.
they are a sponsor of this board ... see up at the top in one of the light blue boxes, CBS Dichroic. click on that to link to their site.
GlassOrchid

Post by GlassOrchid »

Hi Kitty:

Thanks, it's a Howard 'S' but NOT Sandberg.... I think it was something like Spielman.....

~N
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

oh! sorry! close but no cigar! i'd like to hear about it when you get the samples. thanks!
Sara

Post by Sara »

Nancy & Kitty,

I was talking with John Brauchi yesterday about this new company. Of course I don't remember the name either, although I believe they were associated with Savoy Dichro from a few years back. They are in Oregon "somewhere" . . . how's that for an answer!

Evidently this company's tooling is slightly different and for the same money as CBS you can get a slightly higher yield of glass. John has run some tests using torch, glory hole and fusing. I will be anxious to hear about color consistancy of the coatings, evenness (how DO you spell that?) and availability.

CBS and Navitar make fabulous dichro coatings so I doubt I'd switch. I am very color specific and need a particular run done to hit a particular color on a particular glass and after working with them for so many years know the results I get from these suppliers. I get much of my glass from CBS, although have 3 colors that I have coated to a certain specification at Navitar.

Sara
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

Sara wrote:
I will be anxious to hear about color consistancy of the coatings, evenness (how DO you spell that?)

Sara
evenness? Sara, have u been paying no attension at all?
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

sara -- i too am pretty committed to the colors i get from CBS ... i'm doing production jewelry, so i'm not experimenting a whole lot. might be interesting to see a couple of samples of the mystery dichro one day, however. thanks for the info.
jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

db wrote:
Sara wrote:
I will be anxious to hear about color consistancy of the coatings, evenness (how DO you spell that?)

Sara
I don't think that evenness is a word, however thinkk evenivity (tm). Thanks Brian

jim

\:D/
GlassOrchid

Post by GlassOrchid »

I'm very committed to CBS as well; it's all I use and all I sell currently, but it never hurts to test new things.

I have tried DichroMagic and Savoy but don't use or carry them because of consistant quantity or quality issues (nobody get mad now). I haven't tried GM (Navitar) in awhile so I just emailed them to see if I can get a sample set to test (thanks yet again, Sara)

If I do receive that sample set from Mystery Dichroics I'll let you all know how they are. Maybe I'll scan them in so you can see..... even though dichro doesn't always scan so well.... Hope anyone who figures out who they are will let us know too....

~Nancy
Sara

Post by Sara »

db wrote:
Sara wrote:

Sara
Huh? DB, wha yo say?

S
Sara

Post by Sara »

Kitty wrote:sara -- i too am pretty committed to the colors i get from CBS ... i'm doing production jewelry, so i'm not experimenting a whole lot. might be interesting to see a couple of samples of the mystery dichro one day, however. thanks for the info.
Kitty, I'll be in Portland doing a show next week, then John B. is away at the glass show at Chicago. I'll talk to John and get the name of the coater and request some samples.

It occurs to me that last year on the board someone was doing jetcutting and wanting business and I think it's the same person.

Since I do production jewelry too I don't get in as much play time as I'd like, although lately have been making time since we got a new saw.

re: evenness (snkr) DB . . . last month I found a really old sheet of dichro like from the old days where the middle of the square was a particular color and the color radiated out darker towards the edges. I wasn't paying attention and did a whole series of left and right goddess earrings only to discover after I'd had the dichro etched that I can get those pretties to match no matta what, good thing they can also be pendants!

I'll post a report as soon as I hear something.

S.
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

i wonder if it is the waterjet cutter in Hillsboro, OR
Water Jet Design
his name is john
april 2003 thread said he could cut letters, numbers & shapes out of BE and dichro.
waterjet@pcez.com
(503) 615-0144
fax (503) 648-8277
U think maybe it is this person?
Tami C

Post by Tami C »

I bet that it was Howard 'Virgil' Speelman. He is a teacher for Gil at HGH in Portland-- teaches beginning glass blowing. I met him 2 years ago, and he was working on his vacuum coating machine then. He's a super nice guy!! Try contacting Gil or Carmen for his email address and company info.
GlassOrchid

Post by GlassOrchid »

Hi Tami:

That sounds promising.. I'll email Gil and Carmen tonight.. let you all know if that pans out..

Nancy
candala

"Navitar" Dichroic Glass?

Post by candala »

Who are they? What's their site? What does their glass go for?
Thanks.
GlassOrchid

Post by GlassOrchid »

They don't have a site yet. I spoke to them today and they are sending me the info today or tomorrow with the samples. I will keep you guys up to date as soon as I get it and test fire the glass.

The company is called 'Spirit of Glass'.....

~N