My hands are killing me.....

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Phil Hoppes

My hands are killing me.....

Post by Phil Hoppes »

Not sure if this is a SPAB type post but I have to believe that there are others out there suffing the same. I've been doing a lot more cold working to my work, now that I have the "toys" to allow me to do so. I've also discovered that my hands are a disaster area. Being a guy (ARH, ARH, ARH) I'm not suppose to care about those things but lately the skin on my hands is so dry that my finger tips are literally cracking open with cuts simply from being too dry. I've gone to using the cheap disposable gloves a whole lot more and me and my Cornhuskers Lotion are becoming closer friends.

I'm just curious as to how others help relieve or at least maybe keep the dryness at bay.

Cracking in AZ

Phil
:(
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Post by Amy Schleif-Mohr »

I use Kerodex 71. It's a wax base cream that you set with cold water creating a bearier. I have to be careful though because my hands are slick and I have to hold the glass tighter.

Amy
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

You might want to try putting a product called "Bag Balm" on your hands after doing glass work. It was invented for dry cow udders, but people found it worked well on their hands as well. It is available in Drug Stores, I believe.

The product that I use on my hands currently to deal with dryness is called "Norski". It used to be available in drug stores...I think you have to buy it at hospital pharmacies now.

My dad knows the father of the guy who makes the stuff and so I can I get it through my dad. It works great, makes my hands less painful, and helps to heal.

Good luck with this!

Geri
Jo Holt

Post by Jo Holt »

Phil,

I use the Cornhuskers Lotion too. Other products are good (like bag balm) but the cornhuskers doesn't leave the "greasy" feel after you use it.

Jo
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Phil,

I've had the same problem since I've also been doing more and more coldworking along with my sandblasting and photoresist work... I'm in the water so much that I'm thinking of moving the whole operation into the swimming pool.

My hands are also a mess and lately, I've found some relief by using the regular Neutrogena Hand Cream. I only use it when I'm not handling glass (like when I'm driving, or when I occasionally get some sleep), since I don't want to add any other oils to the glass surface.

It doesn't smell perfumey (sp?) so the boys down at the local biker bar won't call you a sissy :?.

Hope this helps.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

i use a mixture of triple antibiotic ointment with pain killer with a couple of drops vit e oil. i just bite a capsule, squirt some out and swallow the rest. this is good at night. rosanna
glass1

Post by glass1 »

I use a Beauti Control lotion called Extreme Repair. If you cover the splits with Super Glue or nail glue (super glue works better), the pain stop immediately and the splits are protected. I learned this from a demotalogist.
Zane
Location: moved to Illinois (not Chicago) in 2006 from Wisconsin

Post by Zane »

Although I have used Bag Balm, Corn Huskers, etc, my current favorite is No-Crack hand cream. It comes in a nighttime (somewhat greasy) and a daytime (less greasy) version. Also the smell is not too bad.

I really like it.

Hope it helps....

Zane
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

Phil

:!: I vote for Geri's remedy, Bag Balm. Good for diaper rash too, if that's a problem. :wink:

To make any of the hand lotions work faster apply a liberal amount and then put on a pair of thin doctor's exam gloves. Leave them on for several hours and yes your hands will sweat and feel hot, but that's the trick. The warm, moist, environment will make any lotion work faster.

And when you get back to grinding glass you might consider wearing a pair of gloves for the real wet stuff. There are a number of rubber gloves that grip fairly well on wet surfaces.

Some rubber gloves that might work.

http://www.galeton.com/item_group.asp?G ... egoryID=11

Ron
Dani

Post by Dani »

I use castor oil, vitamin E, and some kind of essential oil like chamomile... just a few drops after washing hands while they're still wet. Works great. Also, there's the age-old beauty trick of slopping whatever on your hands at night, then wearing cotton gloves to bed. Good for the nails, too.

Wasn't there an Arthurian knight famous for his pretty hands??

Hmmm,

Dani
K Okahashi

Hot wax for ground down hands...

Post by K Okahashi »

Ok, I have to admit, I'm feeling like a brat now :oops: - a couple of christmas' ago I got a HoMedics parafin wax treatment spa thingy for my hands. It does take a while for the wax to heat up (I usually kick it on about 2-3 hours before I end my night). After working some large orders when my hands are killing me from the grinding, the cutting, etc. it leaves my skin soft, and the ache goes away. I think my unit costs around $30-$40 and you can get refill wax. Once the wax cools on your hands, you can peel it off and re use it.

Then there is a spa tub....but I think that's another post. :wink:
Pat Zmuda

Post by Pat Zmuda »

Phil:

I feel your pain (OUCH!). The skin on my finger tips splits often, too. I have many times walked around with bandages on all finger tips--and those don't stay on very well either. I've tried it all--triple anti-biotics, Bag Balm, all the cremes. The best PREVENTATIVE I've found has been Eucerin Original (NOT the formula for sensitive skin---my doctor said the sensitive skin formula was irritating) Moisturizing Creme slathered on and covered with gloves at bedtime, all year round. And, during the winter using a lighter moisturizing creme anytime I was going outside. This has made a big difference--I get fewer splits--but I must be consistent: slack off and the splits start again.

Haven't found the solution to splits when I do get them. I've heard before of using Super Glue, but haven't tried it yet. There's a product called "New Skin," sort of like a liquid bandage which helps a bit but stings a lot. Actually, my fingers felt really great when I was taking a class from Keith and Deanna Clayton and kept getting liquid (read hot/warm) wax on my fingers--sealed those splits right away--just a bit impractical for every day! :roll:

Hope this helps.
Patty Gray

Post by Patty Gray »

Hi Phil,I do a fair amount of cold working (several different types of machines). My real and direct solution is wear gloves while doing the work. Good gloves prevent all the problems, even if you decide to wear the gloves for doing dishes (sold at grocery stores and the wonderful galeon gloves). Tonight I did hours of cold working and I won't have a problem of the drying out of skin because of the regular gloves that I used today. After the coldworking tonight I also did sandblasting but since there are gloves I don't have the problem with the contact with the skin.

My son, Sterling, today was using some of my galeon gloves while working on his car (oil job/grease job) and he was happy with the results (thank you Tony for telling me about the gloves).

To heal cracked hands/fingers, it's best if you can get a pair of cotton gloves and put them over hands that have balm, lotion or whatever with a heavy base and leave them on over night. Best is prevention, gloves while you are working on the glass. Patty Gray
Susan Wright

my hands are killing me

Post by Susan Wright »

You may want to try a silicone shield product prior to working. Avon has one and there is a product I use called Derma shield that was available from some medical supply stores. Baxter carried it as a distributior to hospitals. It forms a layer that prevents chemicals etc from penetrating the skin for 4 hours. It also helps keep latex off the hands. Once you apply it you would not know it's there. It also morturizes it. It comes with anitbacterial properties or without and I would opt for the non since we tend to use to much of that germ killing stuff and then we end up with problems in other situations.

I think you can still get it but mine is several years old, I use to carry it for my clients. If you can't find it check also at the beauty supply houses since the company also made one, different brand, for them to halp against all those chemical.

You need to reapply avery 4 hours toi keep the seal but water doesnot affect the seal. The seal drops because you lose skin cells at thaat rate.

Susan W
Phil Hoppes

Thanks to all!!

Post by Phil Hoppes »

Lots of good ideas and comments. Thanks to all. For a while there I was going nuts as I thought I'd cut my finger tips on the glass. This last round I knew that was not the case but the tips of both of my thumbs split open in a couple of places and I don't need to tell you how much that hurt as you can't grab anything! I'll look into the heavy duty gloves and check out some of the different lotions you have all mentioned and see if I can't put an end to this problem.

Relieved in AZ

Phil
:D
David Williams

Green finger tape

Post by David Williams »

Hey Phil, I do a heck of alot of coldworking too. Pretty much all week long. I've started using this finger tape my wife got from rio Grande. Its changed my life! What I do is double it over the tip of my thumbs and forefingers multiple times, and then wrap them up. It stays on all day even in the wet. When I take it off at the end of the day, I save what has now become a sort of flexible thimble. The next day, I cut slits in the thimbles, and put them on my fingers and retape over them again. I do that for three or four days until the thimble turns into a big marshmallow to big to be of use then I start over. My finger joints still hurt but its way better now.
Jackie Cooper

Post by Jackie Cooper »

Phil -

I do a lot of cold-working, too & have had the same problems. Working in water is very hard on skin. For nearly 2 years, now I have used snug fitting latex exam gloves for all cold work. I buy them at Costco, 2 boxes of 100 for about $8.00. I like them snug so they don't interfere with my dexterity too much. As soon as I get a hole or a tear, off goes the glove, and on goes a new on. I can go thru several pairs in a work session, but the price is small compared to saving your hands. And when I'm done working, I use moisturizers, too. It really helps.

Jackie
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Dry skin might be caused not from exposing your hands to water but rather to fungus growing on your skin. Check to see if the cuticles of your finger nails look dry too. Get a doctor/lab to do some testing. You might be surprised. I have worn gloves and used hand lotion for years only to find out that I was growing fungus! What was happening was that I would use rubber gloves when grinding my glass. Sometimes I would put my hands into the gloves when they were only towelled dry, not completely and absolutely dry. The gloves then became places where the fungus would thrive and then dry out my hands and fingernails. Putting on disposable gloves will not solve the problem until the fungus is gone. Only when hands are absolutely dry with no trace of moisture on them should you put on gloves. Throw out your old gloves when you start using antifungal cremes on your hands. Regular hand cremes never solved the problem. Now I finally have soft hands and uncracked skin.
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

While I agree that some people are afflicted with fungus on their skin, it is not that common and in fact, indiscriminate use of antifungals is not recommended as they are highly toxic.

Like Kevin said, if you have doubts, visit a dermatologist and get a qualified diagnosis.

still a Pharmacoboy
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
David Williams

Post by David Williams »

What was happening was that I would use rubber gloves when grinding my glass. Sometimes I would put my hands into the gloves when they were only towelled dry, not completely and absolutely dry. The gloves then became places where the fungus would thrive and then dry out my hands and fingernails.

Man I can't imagine wearing gloves coldworking. I gotta breathe baby. I've never had a problem with my skin cracking for me its mostly joint soreness and finger tip abrasion. I think if I wore gloves my skin would get more irritated. Flushing fresh water over your skin all day has got to be better than sweaty stank inside latex gloves.