need kiln advice

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Ann Kleckner

need kiln advice

Post by Ann Kleckner »

Hi everyone. I’ve been reading and learning from your bulletin board now for several months and decided it was about time I register. I’ve been exploring glass painting, fusing and slumping for several years now in my spare time using an old ceramic kiln and a pyrometer. I make plates, bowls, dropouts and earrings. I’ve decided it is now time to move up to a true glass kiln with a controller. I’ve searched your bulletin board and archives for information and have narrowed my kiln choice down to two possibilities… The Skutt Clamshell or the Jen-Ken Professional series 24â€
Ann Kleckner
Artglass Delights
Brooklyn, Wisconsin
paulajane

Post by paulajane »

I, also, can't program a VCR, but I love the Glassmaster controller. I have a Skutt 814 and I think it is great. When I first got it, I did a number of test tiles to see if the temp was even and they all came out uniform on all sides and exactly alike. The same is true with the programs. I can determine the effect I want, and so long as my pieces have a similar consistency as far as thickness (I'm doing jewelry at the moment) I can predict how they will come out as far as time and temperature for fusing.

I hope this helps. I spent a long time deciding on a kiln. I even called some of the technicians at the factories for information. Skutt returned my call the same day.

Paula
Lisa Allen

Post by Lisa Allen »

I have a friend who has a paragon front loading kiln with top elements only. She regularly does 9 or 10 inch drops in it that work fine.

As far as controllers, I don't have any experience with the controllers you mentioned. I have a RampmasterII that is very easy to program now, after my initial "deer in the headlights" response. I am sure that there is a bit of a learning curve with any of them, but there are probably step by step directions in each of the manuals that will get you started. And the value of having one sure outweighs the liklihood of feeling like a boob for a while.......at least for me :lol:

Lisa
Lisa Allen
http://www.lisa-allen.com
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
Vickie

Jen Ken 24"

Post by Vickie »

I've had my Jen Ken 24" for a few months. I love the viewing window. You can do some nice "deep" projects in it. Mine has the 3 key Orton controller. I was easy to learn how to use it, as I necer had experience with a controller before. BUT, you might want to get the 12 key controller, you can't increase or decrease time, temp with the 3 key if you need to do so during your firing program, at least not that I'm aware of....SO check it out first. I still love my kiln, and can do lots with it. So far my programming schedule has been just fine.
Vickie
Mira

Post by Mira »

If customer service counts, Skutt has my vote. They corrected a problem with a lid within days, no questions asked, no charge. I really appreciated their help.
Ron Bell

Post by Ron Bell »

Ann...
I went through the same evaluation and was totally impressed with the engineering of the Clamshell. But in the final analysis the Jen-Ken Oval gave me more fusing surface area for a much lower cost. The fact that the lid goes back beyond 90 degrees opens up rakeing -- if and when I get to it -- and the addition to an open top safety switch were little pluses. I should also point out that Marty at CDV was quite helpful when I got down to the final selection. Good Luck
Ron Bell
Black Creek Glass
Lynne Chappell

Post by Lynne Chappell »

Of course we can only relate our experiences with what we've used, but I do like the Clamshell design. Raking is a breeze, loading it is a treat. There's no worry about stuff falling off the lid. The controller is great. Downside is the price, and it isn't that easy to watch a dropout. I had them add an extra peephole lower down so that I could see, but I don't fire by eye as much in this kiln. And you hesitate to open it at lower temperatures to see better as the work gets a pretty good blast of cool air. It is fast to heat and recovers very quickly, even when opening to rake. I've found when loading the shelves right out to the corners with small stuff that the heating isn't totally uniform, but I think that's a pretty common problem.
Linda Reed

Re: need kiln advice

Post by Linda Reed »

Ann Kleckner wrote: I’ve been exploring glass painting, fusing and slumping for several years now in my spare time using an old ceramic kiln and a pyrometer.
Ann, Can you keep your ceramic kiln also? If you can, you can still use it for drops and things that might take depth while you use your new kiln for raking and other stuff....

I fired for a long time with only an analog pyrometer and now I have a Bartlett and an Orton controller (on different kilns). They are both pretty easy to use, once you learn their language and I don't even own a VCR... (of course, their language is rather limited) A controller is a really nice bit of insurance to have. I ruin less glass now :oops: ... The Bartlet I have didn't come with the kiln - the kiln plugs in to it, so it could be possible that you could use a new controller with your old ceramics kiln as well as you new glass kiln as long as you weren't using them at the same time?

Just a thought.

Linda
Ann Kleckner

Post by Ann Kleckner »

Thanks to all who have responded to my questions. The information has really helped. I will be able to keep my ceramic kiln and have considered getting a controller for it. I hadn't thought about getting one controller I could use with both, but that's a great idea. What is the Jen-Ken window like? Is it just a bigger peephole with a plug that you remove to look through? or is it like an actual window made of something clear that doesn't melt?
Ann Kleckner
Artglass Delights
Brooklyn, Wisconsin
Jo Holt

Post by Jo Holt »

Ann Kleckner wrote: What is the Jen-Ken window like? Is it just a bigger peephole with a plug that you remove to look through? or is it like an actual window made of something clear that doesn't melt?
It's a clear window approx 2" diam. and a big help!

Good luck choosing - lots of good points about both brands. Jen-Ken's service is great, too.

Jo
Terrie Corbett

Post by Terrie Corbett »

Ann,

I have 3 large Jen Kens, a front-loading Paragon an Evenheat (all have controllers) and 2 small kilns. I like all of them. I believe, however, that Mike and his family at Jen Ken offer the best customer service available. They are always helpful, courteous and generous with their information -- not to mention they put together a very good kiln! (One of my Jen Kens is 18 years old and firing just fine-I bought it used about 4 years ago). You can't have too many kilns and you may favor one for a particular project over another. Good luck!

Terrie
gerry newcomb

Post by gerry newcomb »

Ann, I've tried to post a reply to you several times now except I am unable to navigate this reply program to successfully respond in the detail I think your question merits. E mail me if you more elucidation about controller options. dkosman@rockisland.com. My wifes e account , I'm out of town for 2 weeks and I see it sooner on that , or gerryn@speakeasy.net