Slimping into Terra Cotta Mold.....

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Stuart Clayman

Slimping into Terra Cotta Mold.....

Post by Stuart Clayman »

I found some old molds at a studio and I tried them.. the slumped pieces came out with a matte finish on them... not devit.. just matte.. can anyone tell me why?
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Top or bottom?
Stuart Clayman

Post by Stuart Clayman »

Top. The bottom was as I expected it.
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

It may be evil vapors from the molds if they have been sitting around for a long time. You could try firing them high (1500) without glass a time or two and see if that helps.

Ron
Stuart Clayman

Post by Stuart Clayman »

Ron,
You may be on to something... Evil Vapors? ... PLease explain.. the molds have been sitting around for a long time. I got them from a studio that had not used them in years.

Stuart
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

Evil Vapors or outgassing from the molds may be caused by surface contamination or something absorbed into the clay over time. It's hard to tell what it may be.

I always like to throw experiments in the kiln while other things are firing just to take advantage of the extra shelf space. I have found that firing any kind of chemicals (like copper carbonate) exposed to the kiln atmosphere can fog other glass in close proximity.

Ron