Seam Question

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Ross

Seam Question

Post by Ross »

Why is it that some seams will fuse and the line between 2 pieces of glass can not be seen at all (black). Then, I seam 2 pieces of red together and the seam is very apparent. The 2 pieces are fused well, butthe line can be seen. All of this was done with bullseye at full fuse. :?:
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Ross-
I have the same problem with all my seams. Filling in the space with frit seems to help. :roll:
-Tracy
Brock

Post by Brock »

The seam between two adjacent pieces of glass, is actually the two vertical faces of the edges of the pieces. During the fusing process, these edges slightly retract as they are heated, then later flow together. The glass face is mushed together. This vertical face often does not act the same as the surface of the sheet. It is more prone to devit, and any colour variations become quite visible. Softer glasses evince less of this phenomena. I am a fan of frit over seams. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

Brock wrote:I am a fan of frit over seams.
Me too. well actually powder. and then I spread it all over everything because it tends to throw in just a hint of variation in color depth that makes things seem a lot less crayolaish and a lot more organic looking. And there's something about organic that moves me....

Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
Ross

Post by Ross »

Thanks for the advice!