Wash Day Blues

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Wash Day Blues

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

Hi All

In my quest 4 globalisation / word domination / riches n glory

Well I will just settle 2 B rich like Marty

I am simplifing the whole of my Cheetin Technology

Developin new ones or just missin stuff out

Currently I am stuck on cleaning the glass

Wash n Go it is not

I am using a dish washer

Am gettin clean glass

But getting spots

I have the rince aid on full

Any tips ??

Should I put salt on max setting ?????

Thanks
Bert Weiss

Re: Wash Day Blues

Post by Bert Weiss »

Brian and Jenny Blanthorn wrote:Hi All

In my quest 4 globalisation / word domination / riches n glory

Well I will just settle 2 B rich like Marty

I am simplifing the whole of my Cheetin Technology

Developin new ones or just missin stuff out

Currently I am stuck on cleaning the glass

Wash n Go it is not

I am using a dish washer

Am gettin clean glass

But getting spots

I have the rince aid on full

Any tips ??

Should I put salt on max setting ?????

Thanks
Brian

Marty would be rich, but he lives outside NYC and the economy gremlins take all his money for cost of living and help. He can get good deli and bagels, though.

Any times my dishwasher has left spots, a simple dry rub has removed them. Maybe you should try a different detergent or switch from dry to liquid or vice versa. In the US, Cascade is the benchmark brand. I use the liquid and it works well for me.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Mark Hughes

Post by Mark Hughes »

Adding 1/4 cup of vineger to the wash will help remove those nasty watermarks. :lol:
Mark Hughes
PDXBarbara

Post by PDXBarbara »

Brian and Jenny Blanthorn wrote: Currently I am stuck on cleaning the glass

Wash n Go it is not

I am using a dish washer
Hi Brian... the others seem to know exactly what you're asking, but retardo here don't get it...
Are you asking about a) cleaning glass prior to kilnforming? b) after it's finished? c) General cleaning of generic glass from the cupboard or wherever?

The nastiest cleaning problem for me is when making something with billions of stars...er... I mean billions of small bits of glass...and don't want to go nuts cleaning individually. I have a few methods, but they're all crazy-making to some degree.
Barbara
Barbara Bader

PDXBarbara (Bader) wrote:
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn wrote: Currently I am stuck on cleaning the glass

Wash n Go it is not

I am using a dish washer
Hi Brian... the others seem to know exactly what you're asking, but retardo here don't get it...
Are you asking about a) cleaning glass prior to kilnforming? b) after it's finished? c) General cleaning of generic glass from the cupboard or wherever?

The nastiest cleaning problem for me is when making something with billions of stars...er... I mean billions of small bits of glass...and don't want to go nuts cleaning individually. I have a few methods, but they're all crazy-making to some degree.
Barbara
Its clean glass prior 2 stacking then fuzing

Have got a big tryangle here finished retail about £1400.00 or so

But cant sell cos got a few bits of crudin, I only realised when it was finnished !!!!!!!!!

So this cleaning is a real big deal

In a big peice can B 70 peices of immaculate glass needed n I hate cleaning

Mark Hughes wrote:Adding 1/4 cup of vineger to the wash will help remove those nasty watermarks. :lol:
Ok

But when do I put the vinigar in ??????????????
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

During the rinse cycle. And if you haven't already switched to liquid detergent, I concur with Bert. Between liquid detergent and a vinegar-y rinse, you should see a difference.

good luck Brian.

p.s. since the piece you can't sell is probably headed for the trash heap... if you wish, I can take it off your hands!

Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS

Barbara Muth wrote:During the rinse cycle. And if you haven't already switched to liquid detergent, I concur with Bert. Between liquid detergent and a vinegar-y rinse, you should see a difference.

good luck Brian.

p.s. since the piece you can't sell is probably headed for the trash heap... if you wish, I can take it off your hands!

Barbara
Cant tell when the rince cycle starts

But I do have rince aid in which is similar stuff set on maximum

+ a liquid detergent stuff

Is it worth setting the salt to high setting ?

Thanks 4 offering a warm loving home 2 the reject peice
rodney

Post by rodney »

can you see the tiny spots on the glass after it dries, IN THE FINAL PRODUCT,,,,arent these spots caused by hard water,,,would using distilled water help,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,would putting the glass in a clean plastic bucket, hosing it down, repeteing this a couple of times, then dumping it all in with hot water and vinegar, and then taking it out and letting it dry work

thanks
rodney
Jo Holt

Post by Jo Holt »

Brian and Jenny Blanthorn wrote:
Cant tell when the rince cycle starts

But I do have rince aid in which is similar stuff set on maximum

+ a liquid detergent stuff
I've only tried this a couple times and not liked the results; I'm uneasy about the "coating" after the dishwasher cycles. When I run my "other" oven baking glassware thru the dishwasher, breads/cakes/pastries stick to the bottom; but if they're hand washed they don't stick so it *seems* like there's something there?

If you develop more "Cheetin Technology with this it would really be great!

never-liked-doing-dishes-girl

rodney wrote:can you see the tiny spots on the glass after it dries, IN THE FINAL PRODUCT,,,,arent these spots caused by hard water,,,would using distilled water help,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,would putting the glass in a clean plastic bucket, hosing it down, repeteing this a couple of times, then dumping it all in with hot water and vinegar, and then taking it out and letting it dry work

thanks
rodney
I guess it would B hard water

I cant use ur ideas as I have 2 much glass

The only thing would possbly use a water softner thingy on the incomming water
chris webb

Post by chris webb »

Hi Brian,
Don't have a lot to add except run another cycle just using the vinegar addition, or if you can set it just to rinse with the vinegar do that, and I woulod go with the max salt thing to to soften cause hard water spots are "hard" to remove. Oh BTW my house might not be more loving than Barb's but I live in Fl so it's warmer here for the rejected piece :P
chris
chris webb
you know you're a great dane lover when....You hear running water you jump up and yell OUTSIDE!
eben

Post by eben »

Hi brian,

I have the solution for you-

turn off the auto dry on your washer and then make sure you are around when the washer turns off. Then pull your glass out of the washer and dip it in a vinager/water mix.. towel dry. Also time your washer so you know when you have to be there to dry it.. if you wait too long the glass will dry and you'll get spots.
I'm lazy too-

eben

eben wrote:Hi brian,

I have the solution for you-

turn off the auto dry on your washer and then make sure you are around when the washer turns off. Then pull your glass out of the washer and dip it in a vinager/water mix.. towel dry. Also time your washer so you know when you have to be there to dry it.. if you wait too long the glass will dry and you'll get spots.
I'm lazy too-

eben
Thanks Eben 4 venturing over the warm side

I was kinda comming over 2 this workarround

I was hoping to just leave the glass 2 dry

But looks like I gotta B a little more disaplined n put that little bit more effort in

Thanks 4 all ur replies

Brian
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Perhaps you assume that the rinse aid is on full. Perhaps a new rinse aid bottle in a cleaned out rinse dispenser. I never trust detergents. I would make some inquiries and find out if your local water supply has changed water sources since your problem seems to be new. Run a load or two of water and vinegar through the machine to clean it. If you have mineral deposits in the machine, each time you use it, you'll be disolving some of them into the clean water you are cleaning your glass with.
I wash my glass by hand and let it air dry until the point where drops of water are forming on the sheets. Then I hand dry them with a towel before the spots leave marks behind. If I forget, my water here doesn' t usually leave spots....but different water supply sources can come down the pipes. When that happens, chemical reactions occur within the water inside the supply pipes. Sometimes those chemical reactions will rapidly destroy the protective zinc anode in your hot water supply tank. Perhaps you have a missing/worn out hot water tank anode which is allowing crud onto the glass.