Computer software for kiln control.

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Haydo

Computer software for kiln control.

Post by Haydo »

In the old archive I read the post by Bert regarding the Eurotherm package to control/monitor kilns and am hoping that I will get some feedback on this and other software, especially any tales regarding the success or failure of home grown programmes.
My brother-in-law is keen to take on the challenge to construct a programme for me to use but feel uneasy about that it may be a bit too big of a chunk to chew. My other brother-in-law is in the commercial air-conditioning trade and between the two of them, they make it sound so easy. - Haydo
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

Not sure if you saw this post in the old archives by Wallace Venable, it covers a system he put together using his computer.

http://www.warmglass.com/cgi-bin/wgarch ... read=22744

Ron
Wallace Venable

Post by Wallace Venable »

I've continued to use in regularly - on a "hobby" basis - but have not done much further evolution of it.

The only known problems are:

1. Letting the thermocouple slip out of position.

2. The mid-night roll-over doesn't work - Keep runs under 24 hours and set the computer's clock before starting.

Someday I want to do a current control (not simple ON-OFF) and work out the clock problem, but making glass is more fun.

Details are still at

http://www2.cemr.wvu.edu/~venable/rmi/studio/studio.htm
Wally Venable, Student of glass
AndyMiller

Post by AndyMiller »

Hello Haydo,

Do you want to use your computer AS the controller or does your kiln already have a controller and you want to start/stop/monitor it's progress using your computer?
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

Thanks. My techo-in-laws will enjoy the info. , I remember them covering most points in their efforts to save me money and save the sister from poverty. To me it's just a tool to get the job done, and I want the right tools.
The idea is to have a dedicated laptop which I can plan schedules, monitor progress and store graphs of all firings. It really is all beyond me as all I want to do is cook and polish glass. - Haydo
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!
AndyMiller

Post by AndyMiller »

We offer a software package called Tracker that does all those things. It works with our controller (in the DTC-2 and all our kilns) as well as all compatible controllers (Partlow 1166, West 6400, etc).

There is an evaluation copy available if you want to take a look.
Wallace Venable

Post by Wallace Venable »

I have NOT gotten my system to work with a modern laptop. The problem is that the machines I have tried had non-classic serial port addresses, and limited technical documentation.

For my system you dedicate an old desktop PC to the job. The type that is thrown away or sold for $25. Any old "IBM-PC" type machine will probably do. I haven't tried a Pentium class machine, and a Mac will not work.
Wally Venable, Student of glass
Jack Bowman

Post by Jack Bowman »

Andy,

Do you know if it works with a CAL9500P?

Jack
AndyMiller

Post by AndyMiller »

Hello Jack,

I'm afraid not, but it would not be hard to add if I could borrow one for a week or 10 days.

Right now Tracker supports the Partlow 1166/West 6400 and their OEM versions, and the Omron E5*K.

Andy
PaulS

Post by PaulS »

Jack Bowman wrote:Andy,

Do you know if it works with a CAL9500P?

Jack

That's the same unit I use for the controller Jack, but why do you want to use a computer if you have the 9500P surely using a PC as a controller defeats the object of using a controller -just curious?

If it helps, you can download a demo of the CALcontrols software from their website.

I never tried it because I'd need an RS232 board in the PC and my limit of electricability was building the controller and kiln but I'd be interested to build something would use one of the retired PC's knocking around here.

Keep us posted on how you get on Andy.
It ain't where you're from, it's where you're at!
Jack Bowman

Post by Jack Bowman »

Paul,

The purpose of the PC is to store numorous firings, record firings, and have the convenience of setting temps with a mouse and keyboard.

The CAL will do the controlling. The PC will tell it which firing to do and give you a time/temp graph for later troubleshooting. You can also chain kilns together.The PC will monitor and record all of the different firings at one time. With a modem, you could be monitoring all of the action from home. Have the system ring you up if any temps get outside of the alarm settings.

You could do everything from the computer without a controller but PC's are more prone to freezing up, which could be a disaster in the middle of a firing.

So bottom line the PC is an organizational and recording tool.

Jack
In beautiful Whistler, BC.
PaulS

Post by PaulS »

That sounds like good management and a great aid to teaching the graphical representation of what the schedule is doing.

Currently I have 14 schedules saved on the CAL9500P and the memory usage is still only 20% used. I keep records on paper for each schedule and pull up the one I need, as required.

If I chain the kilns together, don't I need a CAL9500P for each kiln?

When your kiln overfires and calls you at home Jack, does it say "Hey Jack, I'm hot!" or what? and how do you know it's the kiln calling? Hope it's you and not your partner that takes the call!
It ain't where you're from, it's where you're at!
Jack Bowman

Post by Jack Bowman »

Paul,

The kiln usually asks if I'd like to go out for some fresh air. These days it's the other way around, my wife calling out to the studio. :twisted:

In my case I could monitor from the house instead of being in the garage. But someday...

Unfortunatly you will need a controller for each kiln.

If you haven't seen the new kiln, check out the link below.

Jack