Paradise paints temp

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Susan Wright

Paradise paints temp

Post by Susan Wright »

If I fire the paints at 1480, how long max can I hold there and not lose the color. I would like to paint and then full fuse, three layers of glass with the paints on the top layer only.

Susan W
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Post by Amy Schleif-Mohr »

Why can't you put the paint on in the last fuse firing?

Are you using the oil base PP, or the powders?

Amy
Bert Weiss

Re: Paradise paints temp

Post by Bert Weiss »

Susan Wright wrote:If I fire the paints at 1480, how long max can I hold there and not lose the color. I would like to paint and then full fuse, three layers of glass with the paints on the top layer only.

Susan W
Susan

I never used Paradise paints, but I would suggest that you just go for it. Fire until you see that you have the fuse that you want and hope that the enamels follow along. I think that they should.

Bert
charlie

Re: Paradise paints temp

Post by charlie »

Susan Wright wrote:If I fire the paints at 1480, how long max can I hold there and not lose the color. I would like to paint and then full fuse, three layers of glass with the paints on the top layer only.

Susan W
i don't know, but it will depend upon the color(s) you're using. the red, yellow, and orange (ROY) will burn out faster than the others. you might pm avery, who uses these a lot.
Susan Wright

Post by Susan Wright »

I just did one test fire. I am using a water medium 1544 at this time. I am trying to cut out multible firings if I can but so far I'm not getting the look I'm after mainly because of some problems not having to do with the paints.

I am fusing the base layers first and then cutting with the Taurus into the shape. sandblasting some details, painting some and then taking to a full fuse. The test showed that I wasn't getting the depth of color I want, splotchy somewhat which I'm sure is a technique problem but to resolve, I'm going to try another quick fire to 1480 and an immediate cut off.