system 96 - red opal

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Lynne Chappell

Post by Lynne Chappell »

I'm really interested in Pete's explanation of cryolite opals, etc. Are the opals that we work with fluorine glasses? Are there different types of opal glass? Just like Cynthia, I've really always just wanted to make glass from scratch. What a thrill, shovelling in the sand and all those exotic metals and fluxes and watching it all turn into glass!

I used to want to do hot glass, but was devastated when I discovered most glass blowers just melt other people's glass. Really, I should have become a glass chemist. Too late now. Maybe. Could maybe still do it if I won the lottery.
Jon Myers

Post by Jon Myers »

Lynne Chappell wrote:I'm really interested in Pete's explanation of cryolite opals, etc. Are the opals that we work with fluorine glasses? Are there different types of opal glass? Just like Cynthia, I've really always just wanted to make glass from scratch. What a thrill, shovelling in the sand and all those exotic metals and fluxes and watching it all turn into glass!

I used to want to do hot glass, but was devastated when I discovered most glass blowers just melt other people's glass. Really, I should have become a glass chemist. Too late now. Maybe. Could maybe still do it if I won the lottery.
Interestingly enough Pete teaches a class in color making. I took it (my first class experience) and it was great and not that expensive (although I imagine that after we were done with Pete and Mary Beth his price will be higher next time :lol: ). If you are the type that enjoys frustration and challenge (and since you are in glass it's a given) and have a scientific bent, you would probably enjoy making color. The cool thing is that you can make colors that no-one else has and you have control over the entire process (for better or worse). It will also make you appreciate being able to melt someone elses colors.