kiln is cursed

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Barbara Muth

kiln is cursed

Post by Barbara Muth »

Okay, this is a HUGE bid for sympathy. In the last three weeks I have had four pieces blow up in the kiln on the ramp up. Never ever ever happened to me before (except that one time months ago I was firing on a wet shelf.

I jinxed myself after the first time when I said it was a good thing I hadn't been firing my WG@BE entry. The next time it happened, it was my WG@BE entry. Ramp-up was 200 dph for a piece about 3/8 inch thick. I said okay, was philosophical about it, and cut it up in small pieces to use in something else.

Last night I got home and opened the kiln from the night before's firing of a 12 inch plate that I had put a lot of work into. This piece didn't just break in two pieces like the others, it had a minor explosion! It was two layers thick, I was going up to a full fuse to do a little silver fuming (and that worked well) but there were pieces of this piece all over my kiln. And I had ramped up at 200 dph to 1200.

In both cases the pieces had been thoroughly annealed in prior firings. All glass is BE compatible and in both cases this was only the second firing. The only thing I am doing different is that I have started actually plugging the vent hole in my kiln, out of concern that I might be introducing thermal shock by leaving it open. (For the first year I used it I never plugged the vent.)

I was so dejected last night I couldn't do any more work for fear I would screw up another piece. And then I wanted to get online to chat with you all and my internet server was down.

Maybe I will have to start sacrificing to the kiln gods....

I am afraid to do any more work on my WG@BE entries....

Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
Paul Tarlow

Post by Paul Tarlow »

Ouch. Sorry to hear that Barbara.

Did you monitor the kiln on the ramp up -- any chance the kiln ramped faster than expected? Either a controller or programming error? Are you re-using a saved program that was used for the others?

Just grasping...

- Paul
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Sorry to hear about your catastrophe Barbara. I've had a few of my own that I've never been able to explain.

Is there a chance your thermocouple has moved out of position or that you have a broken element so that you have uneven heating?

Just grasping 2.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Mary Kay Nitchie

Post by Mary Kay Nitchie »

Hi Barbara--Maybe your kiln is not cursed--perhaps it is trying to tell you something. Here is a link to Bullseye's TechNotes "Knowing your Kiln" which might help you understand the level of evenivity your kiln can support, or identify a kiln part that is busted.

http://www.bullseyeconnection.com/pdfs/ ... tes_01.pdf

If your kiln does turn out to be cursed, I hope the curse is lifted soon!

Mary Kay
@BE
Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.
http://www.bullseyeglass.com
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

Thanks Mary Kay. I had already told my husband that we should probably do this tonight!

barbara
Barbara
LATEST GLASS
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

Mary Kay Nitchie wrote:Hi Barbara--Maybe your kiln is not cursed--perhaps it is trying to tell you something. Here is a link to Bullseye's TechNotes "Knowing your Kiln" which might help you understand the level of evenivity your kiln can support, or identify a kiln part that is busted.

http://www.bullseyeconnection.com/pdfs/ ... tes_01.pdf

If your kiln does turn out to be cursed, I hope the curse is lifted soon!

Mary Kay
@BE
Interesting info Mary

Not had a time 2 read it properly

But it occors 2 me that using Baffle n Go technology would stop the thermal shock n achive evenivity thoughout the firing

This is in a side fired kiln using baffles of a height where they take away the intense heat from the side elements but allow the heat 2 pass over the top of the baffle

I use

Fiber Dizer n Wash

Rigidized bat washed fibre board with a little wedge at the top

Using this combined technology on a production runs it is possible 2 speed up the cycle
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

Ran test, evenivity is secure. the strips all slumped evenly. remain puzzled.

B
Barbara
LATEST GLASS
Jo Holt

Re: kiln is cursed

Post by Jo Holt »

Barbara Muth wrote:Okay, this is a HUGE bid for sympathy. ...

I was so dejected last night I couldn't do any more work for fear I would screw up another piece. And then I wanted to get online to chat with you all and my internet server was down.

Maybe I will have to start sacrificing to the kiln gods....

I am afraid to do any more work on my WG@BE entries....

Barbara
Believe me, you have my sympathy. Glass crises can set my mood for hours! Then a little voice says "It's just glass". (Right - not to mention labor!) It's still hard for me to get past it until I can resolve it.

I was wondering if you are working with frit, and if there's any remote chance of something mixed in by accident?

I'm not much help but I did want to give you some emotional support at least! With help from the board, you'll get it figured out and be back on track but I know right now it's the only thing on your mind - would be for me!

Anxiously keeping tabs on your thread and sending good thoughts to you.

Jo
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

Sorry for your loss!
You didn't say how big your piece was or how close to the side elements it is in kiln. I think Brians advice re: baffling is the way to go.
Don
"The Glassman"