Floor elements in kiln??

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

rosewyn

Floor elements in kiln??

Post by rosewyn »

Sorry for the endless kiln questions - but it is a major purchase for me and I am so nervous of getting the wrong thing. I am currently considering buying a ceramic kiln from a local company that builds them. I have read a few books and all of your helpful posts about the difference between glass and ceramic kilns. My understanding is that the major difference is the placement of the elements (sides=ceramic, top=glass). The company says in their literature that their ceramic kilns have floor elements for even firing. My (long-winded, I know) question is, would that work the same way as a top firing kiln? Has anyone used or heard of floor elements before?

Thank you all again for your help. It has made a scary learning curve a little less scary!!

Rosewyn
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

With glass, floor elements are most often used for casting (along with side and ceiling elements, too). The combination of heat from all three areas allows for the most even heating, which is important for fusing and slumping but really important for large castings.

Ceiling elements are a bit different in that they radiate down towards the top of the glass and the heat spreads more evenly that way than it would with just floor elements, which have to contend with the shelf. From the view of the manufacturer, I suspect the main advantage of floor elements over ceiling elements isn't even heating, it's that it's easier to make and you don't have to worry about sagging elements.
Marty Daily @ CDV

floor elements

Post by Marty Daily @ CDV »

Hi,

Generally speaking floor elements in a glass kiln would be a bad idea.

you will have to place the kiln shelf above the elements and thus the kiln shelf will act as a sheld/barrier and the kiln will have to work harder to heat the glass on the shelf.

You also have increased possiblity of contaminants getting into the elements and shortning their operating life.

The floor element would also create heating problems if you wanted to do pot melts and drop ring projects.

I will put it this way.
If it worked well the glass kiln companies would have done it long ago. Kilns which have elements in the bottom also tend to have them on all the other sides, including the top, of the kiln. The exception is the kiln designed for casting as Brad mentioned.

Also it will be a little harder to change the elements in the floor of the kiln due to difficult access.

Marty Daily
Centre DeVerre
Marty Daily
email: martydaily@verizon.net
Paul Housberg

Post by Paul Housberg »

To second Marty and Brad's responses, I have kilns that are top and bottom fired, top and side fired, and top only. They all work for fusing and slumping. My big slumper is top fired only and while the construction of the kiln, the type of elements and insulation are all contributing factors, it fires extremely evenly.
Paul Housberg
Glass Project, Inc.
Art Glass Feature Walls
http://www.glassproject.com
http://www.facebook.com/housberg
rosewyn

Post by rosewyn »

Thank you for your comments. I think that I will be looking elsewhere for my kiln.
Pam Hrycyk

Post by Pam Hrycyk »

I just noticed that you're located in Toronto - have you checked out Pottery Supply House in Oakville. They build kilns and have both ceramic and glass kilns.

I'm sure they can help you find what you want.

Pam