Pot Melt into a plate to eat on?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Anea

Pot Melt into a plate to eat on?

Post by Anea »

Hello oh wise ones-

I sure have missed being able to post on the board during the transition and getting a new email... but all is well now :lol:

I have a question. I have been playing with pot melts lately and have made some into dinner plates, as a general rule I believe they are okay to eat on (didn't use any overspray or other chemical product) but I just wanted to double check before I try to market them as safe for food.

Any and all advice welcome.

Thanks -

ANEA
charlie

Post by charlie »

there's no difference than a pot melt or a normal fusing. if the base glass is good to eat off of, then it doesn't matter how you formed it.
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

If the glass you used was food safe and you didn't add any lead bearing fluxes or enamels/paints, then they remain food safe.
Paul Tarlow

Re: Pot Melt into a plate to eat on?

Post by Paul Tarlow »

Anea wrote:Hello oh wise ones-

I sure have missed being able to post on the board during the transition and getting a new email... but all is well now :lol:

I have a question. I have been playing with pot melts lately and have made some into dinner plates, as a general rule I believe they are okay to eat on (didn't use any overspray or other chemical product) but I just wanted to double check before I try to market them as safe for food.

Any and all advice welcome.

Thanks -

ANEA
Pot Melts are especially well suited for Pot Roasts and Patty Melts.

Sorry, feeling a bit loopy today. :shock:
- Paul
Tess Farley

Post by Tess Farley »

Anea, what did you do to prevent devit? Also, what glass did you use?
Anea

Post by Anea »

Tess-

I don't seem to have problem with devit on my pot melts...never have. I used standard BE or UB glass and sometime frit. I also use a ton of clear glass and just a little opaque, maybe that has something to do with it. My firing schedule is 650 dph set 1650 with a hold for an hour, then AFAP to 960 hold 1 hour, 250 dph set 920 hold one hour and finally 350 dph set 550 and cool to room temp...I ususally peek around 300 or so.

Good Luck !!

Anea