Sodium Silicate to seal fiber board

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Stuart Clayman

Sodium Silicate to seal fiber board

Post by Stuart Clayman »

I am going to put fiber board on the wall near my kiln but I wanted to seal the fibers.... it was suggested to use Sadium Silicate (water Glass) as a sealant. It took almost a pint to paint on one side using a foam brush. Any suggestions on other ways to get it on.. maybe spraying.. or maybe sodium silicate is not the solution....
I will now open this discussion up to the warm glass brain trust...

Thanks in advance... Stuart
charlie holden

Post by charlie holden »

If you're not going to fire it just paint it with heat resistant paint. Easy to find at hardware stores. For use on stove pipe etc. It's not going to get above 800 F is it?
Stuart Clayman

Post by Stuart Clayman »

This will be outside the kiln so I hope it will not even get that not... thanks for the suggestion.

Stuart
Bert Weiss

Re: Sodium Silicate to seal fiber board

Post by Bert Weiss »

Stuart Clayman wrote:I am going to put fiber board on the wall near my kiln but I wanted to seal the fibers.... it was suggested to use Sadium Silicate (water Glass) as a sealant. It took almost a pint to paint on one side using a foam brush. Any suggestions on other ways to get it on.. maybe spraying.. or maybe sodium silicate is not the solution....
I will now open this discussion up to the warm glass brain trust...

Thanks in advance... Stuart
Stuart

My question is why??? Fiber board is way expensive and soft. If you just need a non combustible material, how about handibacker cement board. If you need an insulator, how about marinite. I don't get what you are trying to do.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Stuart Clayman

Post by Stuart Clayman »

I have a kiln in my home... and I have seen houses catch fire where the wood has dried out over time. so I just wanted to give some extra insulation between the kiln and the wall.. I was thinking about maybe the fiber board (which I got at a great price) to add the extra insulation...

The cement board would work also... note sure what "marinite" is.

Stuart
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Stuart Clayman wrote:I have a kiln in my home... and I have seen houses catch fire where the wood has dried out over time. so I just wanted to give some extra insulation between the kiln and the wall.. I was thinking about maybe the fiber board (which I got at a great price) to add the extra insulation...

Stuart
Stuart

Cement board is used to shield a wall from a wood stove. Wood stoves run much hotter than a kiln as it is designed to radiate the heat out instead of keep it in. The way it is installed is with a 1" space between the cement board and drywall. This can be done with various spacers. I like setting a kiln on cement blocks. The holes allow plenty of warmth to vent out.

Marinite is a refractory baord that comes in 4' x 8' sheets. It would be wonderfull if it worked as a kiln shelf, but it warps at our working temps.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Luiza

Post by Luiza »

Stuart Clayman wrote:I have a kiln in my home... and I have seen houses catch fire where the wood has dried out over time. so I just wanted to give some extra insulation between the kiln and the wall.. I was thinking about maybe the fiber board (which I got at a great price) to add the extra insulation...

Stuart
Hi Stuart
My fiber kiln is against the wall that is mine and my neighbour´s...
I used two fiber boards for months, so that he won´t die from the heat that spread across the wall, or worst, kill me :lol:
One day I needed one board. Then the other one was used too... So, I bough a lot of those refractory bricks, used for fireplaces - they are very cheap here - and I put them between the kiln and the wall. I didn´t use ciment, only the bricks. I was a very good solution, because my kiln cools a litlle slower now.
Luiza
Carol

Post by Carol »

Luiza

For best protection stack your bricks an inch or so out from the wall so air can circulate behind, and leave a couple of 1" spaces in your bottom row between bricks for circulation.

Another thing that works as a wall insulator is tin roofing or other sheet metal. Screw to the wall with a copper pipe connector behind the sheet where you place each screw. Again, leave an air space at the bottom. The copper pipe connectors act as a spacer and hold the metal out from the wall to provide room for circulation.