First Time Art Fair, Looking For Tips

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Randy W

First Time Art Fair, Looking For Tips

Post by Randy W »

Just under two weeks until my first time selling at an art fair. It's a juried event so it's not a "craft" fair but it's not a fine arts deal either. Sort of in between. It's an outside event. I have a list going in my head of what to bring but I think I had better write it form in the form of a check list so I don't forget anything.
Here are a few questions I have:

Does anyone have a check list they are willing to share?

I'm a business so I have to charge tax. Do you set your prices "plus tax" or "tax included" and avoid the hassle of dealing with change and having to figure out the tax ?

Do you give out reciepts?

Do you display your plates on stands, or laying flat? I'm worried someone will accidently bump the table and we'll have and expensive game of dominos.

Is it proper to have a sign with your company name? I'm thinking a piece of poster board on the front of one of the tables.

If someone offers you a lower price do you deal with them? Or just tell them that the prices are as marked?

Has anyone ever stolen from you? How did you deal with it?

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated. :D

I'm sure I'll have more questions.
Thanks, Randy
Carla

Re: First Time Art Fair, Looking For Tips

Post by Carla »

Randy Wesner wrote:Just under two weeks until my first time selling at an art fair. It's a juried event so it's not a "craft" fair but it's not a fine arts deal either. Sort of in between. It's an outside event. I have a list going in my head of what to bring but I think I had better write it form in the form of a check list so I don't forget anything.

Yes. Email me & I will send it to you. foxon@bendnet.com

I'm a business so I have to charge tax. Do you set your prices "plus tax" or "tax included" and avoid the hassle of dealing with change and having to figure out the tax ?

Prices are set without taxs, add those in as you write up the sale.

Yep. With contact info on it. Plus you want mailing info on who buys
your stuff. Building a mailing list is very important.

Do you display your plates on stands, or laying flat? I'm worried someone will accidently bump the table and we'll have and expensive game of dominos.

I don't do glass. But most glass I have seen is on stands....just make
it bump proof.

Is it proper to have a sign with your company name? I'm thinking a piece of poster board on the front of one of the tables.

Your sign represents your professionally. Spend money on it and
make it look professional.

If someone offers you a lower price do you deal with them? Or just tell them that the prices are as marked?

Don't haggle. It's not expected at a juried art show. Those who try are
being jerks and know it.

Never had anything stolen.

Thanks, Randy

I'm better answering questions. If you are going to keep doing this get
a subcription to "Crafts Report." They are on the web and are THE
magazine for artists in shows.

Good luck. Which show? Have fun.

Carla
Carla

Post by Carla »

Oops. Most of my answers to your questions are buried in your "quote."
:?

Carla
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

a ball of stout string/cord.......duct tape (white is better)........basic tool kit w/ hammer.......waterproof magic marker/sharpee.....notrbook.......DRINKING WATER.......paper towells....cooler......snacks.......asperin...... extra pair of shoes socks(standing in wet feet after setting up in the dew is killer)..... rosanna
Nancy Juhasz

Post by Nancy Juhasz »

I add my tax in the price. I also tell the people that they are paying tax that it has already been added in so that I don't have to deal with pennies and charts at shows. What I do is just take my final total minus the tax base ( I have a formula for this) and then pay tax on that amount. If you want my formula I will dig it up and send it to you. I don't keep it by my computer. Don't forget a chair standing all day is tough, weights for your tent along with stakes, plenty of water, plenty of change ( nothing more embarrasing than not having the right change), wet wipes or some type of wipes to refresh and clean your hands and face, boxes and bags (tape for the boxes), extra price tags, notebook for contacts and special orders, pens, credit card stuff if you have signed up, all the stuff Rosanna said, clear shirt for after set-up, some snacks incase you can't get away for food, and a good sense of humor with a big smile. I stand my plates but I have my tables secured together then secured to the tent. Nothing is going anyplace. Good luck Oh I almost forgot side curtains or plastic for the tent sides if it rains. I use those big spring clips to attach the sides up so all I have to do is drop the sides incase of a sudden storm.
Nanc
Sharon Lee

Post by Sharon Lee »

To find your tax base just take the total sale and divide by 1.x , x being your salestax rate. Example: Sold for $50.00, divide by 1.07 assuming your tax rate is 7%. That gives you a base price of $46.73 sales tax of $3.27 total $50.00.
Sharon
Nancy Juhasz

Post by Nancy Juhasz »

Thanks Sharon, you saved me going to find it for him. I thought that was it but didn't want to miss state.
Nanc
Ron Bell

Post by Ron Bell »

Agreeing with all the above, I would add two points. First get a guest book of some sort and try to get email addresses. They will become your conduit for contacting them after the show and any time you have something to tell/show your customer base. Second and I think most important; engage the folks who come by your display, make eye contact, speak to them - even if it is just "good afternoon". No one wants to stop at a booth where someone is sitting in the corner acting like they don't want to be disturbed. Literally translated this all means sell!!! After all that is why you are at the show isn't it. GOOD LUCK
Ron Bell
Black Creek Glass
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

cash box with adequate $1 bills.
receipt book.
guest book is a GREAT idea.
i agree, forget the tax ... too messy. pay it later.
a couple of pens.
your business card, or alternative info sheet.
tissue paper
bubble wrap
scotch tape, duct tape
bags (plastic grocery bags, use 2, cheap, white, looks OK)
kleenex
aspirin is a good idea.
wet-wipes
CHAIR TO SIT DOWN CHAIR TO SIT DOWN CHAIR TO SIT DOWN
you will be too busy to sit much, but you need to be able to get off your feet from time to time.
yes to snacks that don't spoil.
bandaids (just a couple in the cash box)
scissors (nice to put twist-tie on handle with name tag ... everybody wants to borrow them)
cell phone
if craft fair tent, fabric on tent legs looks better than naked poles.
HAPPY SELLING, RANDY.
Alice DeGraff

Post by Alice DeGraff »

ice, ice, ice !!!!! Plus load your things the night before so you can lay awake all night THINKING what did I forget??? Plus if friends want to come over while you are packing SAY NO!!! :oops: :roll:

Alice
Alice DeGraff

Post by Alice DeGraff »

OH I forgot one thing.... I freeze my bottle water so it will help keep things cool in the cooler. It melts and then you have a real cold bottle of water to drink :lol:

me again... Alice De
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Nanc wrote: Don't forget a chair standing all day is tough, weights for your tent along with stakes, plenty of water, plenty of change ( nothing more embarrasing than not having the right change), wet wipes or some type of wipes to refresh and clean your hands and face, boxes and bags (tape for the boxes), extra price tags, notebook for contacts and special orders, pens, credit card stuff if you have signed up, all the stuff Rosanna said, clear shirt for after set-up, some snacks incase you can't get away for food, and a good sense of humor with a big smile.
Well Nanc, I love your check list - one that I never tried before is the clear shirt. I'll bet it really helps bring people in the booth - in fact, I'm sure it draws a crowd. The best part about it is, if you do wear the clear shirt, it doesn't matter if you forget ALL the rest of the stuff on the list - you'll have neighbors lined up willing to share . . . and probably even running off to get those snacks for you too . . .

(sorry Nanc - I'm the typo queen myself, but I just couldn't resist . . .)
Nancy Juhasz

Post by Nancy Juhasz »

Oops!!!!! Jackie, If you could see this old saggy body you would know a clear shirt would chase people away. LOL Guess I was to tired when I typed that. Princess of typos since you are the Queen.
Nanc
Larry Lunsford

Post by Larry Lunsford »

I'm also preparing for my first show - Littleton Western Welcome Week next month.

Here's my list (complete with a few items from suggestions above):
Canopy
Tarps (top, sides, ends)
Poles, Fittings
Concrete Pipe Legs
Bungee Cords
Ropes, Stakes
Hammer
Dolly

Tables
Table Tops (30" x 72" - 2)
Legs
Table Cloths
Upper Table (16" x 48" - 2)
Upper Table Legs

Paper Work
Address Stamp
Calculator
Sales Invoices
Credit Card Slips
Credit Card Imprinting Machine
Sales Tax Form
Registration Packet (booth #, etc)

Misc. Supplies
Cash Box, Change
Chairs
Trash Can, Trash Bags
Tape (Clear, Duct, Mask, Scotch)
Pens, Pencils, Markers
Scissors
Business Cards
Business Flyers
Booth Signs
Plate/Bowl Display Supports
Guest Book
Foam Wrapping
Bags (brown paper)
Cooler - Sodas, Snacks
Cell Phone
Care/Info Cards
Tools (pliers, screw driver, etc)
Susan Wright

Post by Susan Wright »

To add to the lists here that all are great: A fanny bag or an apron to hold your change, a fan if you can power it in the summer, saran wrap, screwdriver, make a tool kit that stays with your show stuff so that you don't have to rummage for tools and forget one, a tall directors chair since you can easily slide your rear into it and stay at eye level, table raisers, a work table or stack packing boxes and cover to create a place to have all the office stuff or create a display that hides them, tablecloths and cover cloths, dollie to move your stuff, extra car keys and hand santatizer that you promise to use regularly (helps avoid those after show colds and flu)

Susan W
gone

Post by gone »

All this in a 10x10! Another good thing to have is a bin to hold all those odds and ends where you can find them. I prefer a plastic one that is about 5" high and about 14x20", because it fits on the plastic shelving that I use as a counter. I got the counter idea from the Crafts Report board and it's great. It is one of those modular plastic shelving units from Home Depot, minus the top two tiers. Put fabric around the front and a board on top and it's just the right height for standing behind or sitting in a tall chair (short chairs are never recommended). The best part is that it has all that room for your supplies, but not your cash, which should be attached to you.

Best of Luck! I'm in a big one this weekend, and although I've been doing this for a few years now, it's still very nerve wracking to do a new one.

Els
lissa

Post by lissa »

We just did our first show in June and the three biggest things we really, and I underscore really, shouldn't have forgotten were:

1) trash bags/bin
2) BAGS FOR CUSTOMERS (boy was that awkward)
3) a good money system, it was not very professional to be digging through my pants pockets to make change.

We neglected to include lots of other things to, but those were the biggies. The show we did was indoors though, and fortunately a lot was provided. Since it is outside this may not come up, but we had some lights and needed an extension cord.

People's lists are great, we'll have to look this thread up again before our next show.

lissa.
dee

Re: First Time Art Fair, Looking For Tips

Post by dee »

Randy Wesner wrote:Just under two weeks until my first time selling at an art fair. It's a juried event so it's not a "craft" fair but it's not a fine arts deal either. Sort of in between. It's an outside event. I have a list going in my head of what to bring but I think I had better write it form in the form of a check list so I don't forget anything.

Thanks, Randy
Rob, here's what i do at craft shows:

i have boxes that stay packed with bags, jewelry boxes, fold together boxes that fit my range of items, tissue paper, etc, i have a box that i store all my sales stuff in - sales books i buy from office depot or staples - 2 part carbonless that i stamp with a self inking stamp containing my business name and contact info; cheap pens for customers, good pens for me, calculators, screw drivers, small clamps, cc slips, mirror, mints, business card supply, clipboard for customers to sign cc slips on.

i charge sales tax except to fellow exhibitors and have a cash box that sits in my booth away from customers, usually next to my chair - a director's chair is essential, you should be able to get one on sale from pier 1 or service merchandise about now. i recently reconfiugred my booth setup so i have a diagram of how i am laying out my pedestals and what should go on them. i have some acrylic display accessories for bringing pieces up from behind others, functional lines - currently coasters and wine glass charms - are sitting flat, sometimes with a prop to illustrate use.

i bring a cooler with water, cheese cubes, gatorade and a bag of finger snacks like crackers, mixed nuts, non-greasy potato chips - my personal preferences....

i don't have a sign yet - i would stay away from the poster board sign, wait till you can get one made - get business cards....

i NEVER negotiate on price - my prices are fair for the products. i do offer a 10% discount to people i know or repeat customers - i call it my FFA discount ;) - i have given a slightly larger discount to a customer at a show who bought 12 prs earrings, 2 chokers and a couple of pendants - but that is a case by case basis...

i have invested in good pedestals and a good canopy, staying dry and warm or getting a breeze thru the sides is important when one is outside - if there's electricity available at an outdoor show in the summer, pack a fan and invest in the electric hookup....

i have made signs saying that if you break it you've bought it due to an incident last fall.....

i have small business card size product info cards i include with a customer's purchase, office depot's brand of inkjet matte cards work great for this....

i am not too good with inventory of the small stuff but i haven't had much pilferage over the past 8 yrs....

D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

like lissa, i once forgot bags for customers. awkward is an understatement. after that fiasco, i kept a big plastic box with a lid packed with all the booth stuff, as others have recommended. i dont do shows anymore, but i still remember that the worst thing i ever forgot was the chair. you don't make that mistake more than once.
Dani

Post by Dani »

Wow, this is great stuff.... we should put together a mega-list and post it in the tutorial or something! Thanks. And remind me not to forget my straw hat and a tube of Carmex. :wink: