First Post From Higgins Glass

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Higgins Glass

First Post From Higgins Glass

Post by Higgins Glass »

Hi,
My name is Jon and I work for the Higgins Glass Studio in Riverside, IL. I have been working for the Higgins Studio for over 12 years (but grew up in the Studio from the age of two)and love it. I look forward from hearing from all of you and I hope I can Help in anyway.
Thanks, Jon
P.S. Frances is doing fine and at 90 years old she still works everyday. If you are not familiar with Michael and Frances Higgins feel free to check out our website http://www.higginsglass.com and read there history.
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Welcome to the WarmGlass Board Jon.

It must be inspiring to work with (and be related to?) a living legend.

Tony Smith
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Higgins Glass

Post by Higgins Glass »

Hi,
It is very inspiring Tony, to say the least. I am not blood related ( Frances and Michael never had children) but I am as close as it gets , they have always been like my Grandparents.
I have been making my own pieces for many years now and hope to post some photos soon ( if I can only figure out how).
Thanks, Jon
Brock

Post by Brock »

Hi Jon, great to see you posting here. Thanks for the slides, I show them in every class Avery and I teach, and just showed them at Arrowmont School in Tennessee.

Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Ross

Post by Ross »

I have a great hard back coffee table type book of theirs. Wasn't most of their early work done with float glass?
Higgins Glass

Post by Higgins Glass »

Your welcome Brock it was my pleasure, I'm glad you are sharing Frances and Michaels story with everyone. I'm sure we will be talking more.

Jon
Last edited by Higgins Glass on Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

I have only seen images of Higgins glass. I too have the "Adventures in Glass" coffe table book. It was a gift and inspires me to always work harder, especially through the difficult times. That Frances is still working is an amazing thing. Perhaps glass will help keep some of us young, even in our advanced years.

How fabulous it must be to be surrounded by such longevity and knowlege. Welcome to the board. I'm looking forward to seeing images of your work as well.

What kind of glass are you working with?
Avery Anderson

Re: First Post From Higgins Glass

Post by Avery Anderson »

Jon-HigginsGlass wrote:Hi,
My name is Jon and I work for the Higgins Glass Studio
Hi Jon:

It's good to see you on the board. Our visit to the Higgins studio over a year ago was a highlight for our Chicago class. It was such a pleasure seeing the studio, the wonderful work and meeting Frances, and you, in person. Please extend our best wishes to Frances and the Higgins staff.

Best wishes,
Avery
Lani McGregor

Post by Lani McGregor »

Ross wrote:I have a great hard back coffee table type book of theirs. Wasn't most of their early work done with float glass?
This is an interesting historical question. It would be great if Jon could answer it. I've always thought that the Higgins' started enameling/fusing their clear glass before float glass was even on the market. I thought that they would have used plate glass. But it's so close in time (early 1950's) that it might have been either?

Jon, what was the source of the first glasses that the Higgins's used?

-Lani

PS One of the highlights of our 2001 SOFA exhibition was a visit to our booth by Frances.... who was touring the entire football field-sized show....at 90?! Truly an inspiring woman.
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Post by Amy Schleif-Mohr »

Welcome Jon! I came to visit with Brock and Avery and their class.

Everyone, if you ever get a chance to visit them do so! Truely an amazing treat to see!

Amy
Jo Holt

Post by Jo Holt »

My name is Jon and I work for the Higgins Glass Studio in Riverside, IL. I have been working for the Higgins Studio for over 12 years (but grew up in the Studio from the age of two)and love it. I look forward from hearing from all of you and I hope I can Help in anyway.
Thanks, Jon
P.S. Frances is doing fine and at 90 years old she still works everyday. If you are not familiar with Michael and Frances Higgins feel free to check out our website http://www.higginsglass.com and read there history.
Jon,

It sounds like all of us today owe Michael & Frances Higgins a lot! Please extend a great thanks to Frances. She is certainly an inspiration! Big gratitude goes out to her and to you for joining us with your offer to share.

Jo
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Lani McGregor wrote:
Ross wrote:I have a great hard back coffee table type book of theirs. Wasn't most of their early work done with float glass?
This is an interesting historical question. It would be great if Jon could answer it. I've always thought that the Higgins' started enameling/fusing their clear glass before float glass was even on the market. I thought that they would have used plate glass. But it's so close in time (early 1950's) that it might have been either?

Jon, what was the source of the first glasses that the Higgins's used?

-Lani

PS One of the highlights of our 2001 SOFA exhibition was a visit to our booth by Frances.... who was touring the entire football field-sized show....at 90?! Truly an inspiring woman.
Lani

Up here in New England, Sidenstricker (sp?) was the pioneer of fusing. I believe that they used drawn glass not float. Drawn glass is gettting very difficult if not impossible to get a hold of in the flat smooth variety (as opposed to GNA which is drawn glass with texture.) A few years ago there were a few cases sitting around at Karas & Karas in South Boston, that were made in Belguim. They had been ordered for a fuser and never actually bought.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Pat Zmuda

Post by Pat Zmuda »

Jon--Great to see you accessing the Warm Glass Board. I want to thank you again for your help when I called last year asking if the Brock/Avery class could visit the Higgins Studio. Meeting and talking with Frances was a great pleasure: please extend to her, again, our thanks for generously spending time with us.

Looking forward to your contributions to the board, especially in light of your unique experience of working for so many years with the Higgins'.

Pat Zmuda
PaulS

Post by PaulS »

Thanks, Jon
Maybe glass is a Higgins family thing...

http://www.cecilhigginsartgallery.org/

Well worth a visit if you get the chance, they have some very nice samples of glass; blown, kilned & engraved.
It ain't where you're from, it's where you're at!
doc

family?

Post by doc »

Jon, Was very interesting reading your comments. Can you ask lovely Lady Higgins if she is related to Carolene Doss in Las Vegas. Thanks. :wink:
BobB

higgens studio

Post by BobB »

Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

Thanks, Jon
Hi Jon

Nice 2 have a link with one of the early fuzers

Bert U could possibly buy drawn glass from a glass suppliers it might B called horticultural glass 4 green houses

Sometimes used in old houses as a match 4 the old stuff
Higgins Glass

Post by Higgins Glass »

Sorry I have not been able to reply, Very busy lately. I will say Thank You for your great response!!!
I will get to your questions soon but for now I just posted some Pieces on Ebay and I thought you might like to take a look.
Talk To All Of You Soon!!
Thanks, Jon

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V ... nce=-1[url][/url]