Problem Slicing Pattern Bar

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Melissa Terman

Problem Slicing Pattern Bar

Post by Melissa Terman »

As I'm slicing through a pattern bar, when I get to the very end of the slice it cleaves and ruins the cut (and my need for perfection). I'm slicing on a MK 101. The water feed is working and everything appears fine, until I get to the very end and snap.

Your input is greatly appreciated.
Melissa Terman
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Re: Problem Slicing Pattern Bar

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

Melissa wrote:As I'm slicing through a pattern bar, when I get to the very end of the slice it cleaves and ruins the cut (and my need for perfection). I'm slicing on a MK 101. The water feed is working and everything appears fine, until I get to the very end and snap.

Hand held or auto feed

Try slowing down as U get 2 the end

Saw more than one at once

Tape scrap sheet glass on the back of it

Encase in plaster
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Melissa,

As you get very close to the end of the cut, the glass becomes very thin and will snap with the slightest force. So, when you get close to the end of the cut, slow way down and don't push so hard. Let the blade grind its way through the last bit of glass.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Lisa Allen

Post by Lisa Allen »

Melissa, along with going more slowly yo can also try to increase the thickness of your slices a bit. I find that the thicker the slices, the less breakage I have.

Tony Smith wrote:Melissa,

As you get very close to the end of the cut, the glass becomes very thin and will snap with the slightest force. So, when you get close to the end of the cut, slow way down and don't push so hard. Let the blade grind its way through the last bit of glass.

Tony
Lisa Allen
http://www.lisa-allen.com
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Post by Amy Schleif-Mohr »

I'm having trouble visualizing this, can you try to explain it better.
Amy
Mark Kemp

Post by Mark Kemp »

Can you cut a short way into the far side of the bar, then flip it and make the main cut? I haven't cut pattern bars, but I've used this method with wood and with single-thickness glass to prevent breakout.
jim simmons

Re: Problem Slicing Pattern Bar

Post by jim simmons »

Melissa wrote:As I'm slicing through a pattern bar, when I get to the very end of the slice it cleaves and ruins the cut (and my need for perfection). I'm slicing on a MK 101. The water feed is working and everything appears fine, until I get to the very end and snap.

I have found that the best way for me, is to back the pattern bar with another piece of glass or ceramic.javascript:emoticon(':idea:')
Idea

Jim