kiln rental for fusing in Minneapolis

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

swatee

kiln rental for fusing in Minneapolis

Post by swatee »

I am going to be moving to the Minneapolis area and I having been searching with no luck to find a studio or workshop that rents kiln time for fusing pieces. Does anybody know of such a resource in the Minneapolis metro area? Any advice would be most welcome. Thanx!

Warm Regards,

Swatee
Susan Wright

Post by Susan Wright »

Try the stained glass shops that offer fusing classes. You may have to take a class to get on their use list. If all else fails, Peachy's Stained Glass in Superior WS rents kiln space and that's only 3 hours away.
We winter in TX and that's not that far in TX.

Susan W
Kris Weber

Post by Kris Weber »

I am not aware of a local (Mpls/St P) shop or studio that rents kiln time for glass, but someone from the following list might be able to help you out.

J.Ring Glass Studio
Joe Ring & Susan Thrash
I know that Joe and Susan do not rent out their kilns. They do offer basic classes and offer a good selection of fusible glasses (90 & 96), Jen Ken kilns, etc. Wholesale purchasing is possible through J. Ring.

MN Ceramic Supply
The local Paragon distributor and home to Saint Mike the Kiln Saver. MN Ceramic Supply carries a number of lines of kilns and may be able to direct you to someone who is willing to rent kiln time for glass.

Continental Clay
800-432-CLAY
Another excellent TC supplier for kilns, kiln supplies, and materials. Again, they do not rent kiln time, but may know of someone who does.

Northern Clay Center
http://www.northerclaycenter.org
Fabulous resource for ceramists. Northern Clay does offer studio and kiln rental. I am not sure whether or not that includes glass artists, but it might be worth a call. Their gallery is definitely worth visiting regularly -- excellent shows and sales.

just in case you need refractory materials in large quanties...
Smith & Sharpe Co

Welcome to the area! I hope this helps some.

Kris
Valoir

Post by Valoir »

Hi - Please send me an email at valoir@bitstream.net

I am doing glass fusing in Minneapolis and plan on having an open studio day on Sept 27. Let me know if you are interested in this one or in future.

Valerie Tremelat
http://www.valoirdesigns.com